Question HDMI Monitor Port doesn't work after installing Windows 10 updates ?

SampsonNation

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Windows 10 64 bit
Build 19042
System Model - NUC7i7BNH

I have an Intel NUC on Windows 10. I re-installed Windows using the Windows Media Creation Tool (via USB). I wiped the system clean. I did this because my 2nd monitor which is on HDMI stopped producing video to the monitor. I couldn't successfully figure out why this was happening. After I reinstalled Windows and finished a few lengthy updates, the computer was working fine. I thought all the updates were done, so I left the computer alone for a few hours while I went out to run a few errands. When I came back, I noticed the HDMI monitor was blank and not being detected by Windows.

I've only installed about 3 programs within Windows and did the normal Automatic Updates. I didn't even install the Intel Update Software Center.

So, what do you all think is going on with my system? This is the 3rd time this has happened with this Intel NUC. I've gone through troubleshooting steps with Intel in the past, but all they suggest I do is reinstall the video drivers, or roll them back to Microsoft's video drivers. None of that helped.

I don't mind reinstalling Windows again, but this is so annoying that something is killing my HDMI port after install.

Reactions: Markizblot

Lutfij

Titan
Not killing, per say, more like the display might be allocated to a phantom port or maybe the drivers are incorrect.

You might want to see if the NUC in question has any firmware/BIOS updates pending. The other thing to note is that you should always manually install all drivers while the internet is disconnected, since Windows 10 tends to download and install drivers it thinks are right for your platform, which often times is not the case.

You can source the drivers for your NUC from here.

SampsonNation

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Good morning,

I spent hours last night trying to get this computer to work right. I did find these video adapter drivers on the Intel website. I tried each one of these versions and had no luck. I also did another complete reinstall of Windows 10 without luck either.

1. - 24.20.100.6194
  2. - 24.20.100.6229
  3. - 24.20.100.6286
After another complete wipe of Windows 10 I was able to get the 2nd monitor running. I still don't know if this was the solution, but it worked right after I restarted from the BIOS. I went into the BIOS and changed these two settings.

1. BIOS / Devices / Video / IGD Primary Video Port: Changed from Auto to HDMI.
  2. BIOS / Devices / Video / IGD Secondary Video Port: Changed from Auto to Thunderbolt.
I don't know if this single handedly was the solution because I've never done this to fix my NUC in the past. The monitor usually just started working on its own after a day or so. This is the first time the monitor went down for more than 2 days.

So now, I have both monitors working. I'm still scratching my head as to why this happened in the first place. I don't update my video drivers from Intel or anything. I don't even have their software center.

SampsonNation

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
I don't know if this is helpful, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Prior to me having issues with my monitors, I noticed that when the Intel NUC splash screen would display on the monitor during the normal boot sequence, it was actually showing on both screens prior to posting to Windows 10. AFTER I started having issues with my 2nd monitor not displaying an image, I also noticed that the Intel NUC splash screen would NOT display on the 2nd monitor as well.

This leads me to believe that since the issue was happening BEFORE "post" to the Windows OS, that maybe the issue lies within the Intel NUC directly? It's just a theory.

All in all, after I changed those video settings in the above post I made, I haven't had any issues since then. I do have to point out that this is the first time I have ever adjusted those settings in the BIOS to get the monitor working in the past. I'm still unsure what the actual cause of this video issue is.

SampsonNation

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Update: I went back into the BIOS and changed the following options BACK to the OEM settings.

1. BIOS / Devices / Video / IGD Primary Video Port: Changed from HDMI to AUTO.

Immediately when I restarted, the Intel NUC splash screen came up on both monitors and Windows posted correctly on them.

SampsonNation

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Update: I was given a new Intel NUC from Intel. It was working fine for a while, but starting the other day ONE of the HDMI ports stopped working completely. However, if I swap the HDMI port #1 and #2 cables and then do a restart, it starts functioning again.

Today, I just got on my computer and noticed the same HDMI port that was originally the issue has stopped working again.

I just restarted my computer, the Intel logo appeared on both monitors and then only one monitor posted to the desktop. I restarted a 2nd time and now BOTH monitors are posting to the desktop.

The only thing I can confirm is, neither monitor is broken. Neither HDMI cable is faulty. Both Dell monitors have their respected updated firmware.

What could be causing this?

Last edited:

SampsonNation

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
So, I'm still experiencing issues with my HDMI 1440P monitor. It was working fine for the last few weeks with the replacement Intel NUC I was sent. I just woke up this morning and noticed the bottom 1440P monitor was blank when I woke up the display (it was display sleeping, not actually in sleep mode). Several restarts didn't fix the issue. I even unplugged the HDMI cable from the monitor. That didn't help. What seems to help was when I unplugged the HDMI cable directly from the NUC itself and plugged it back in.

This issue is becoming very routine. I checked if any drivers or updates were installed recently and they haven't been. I'm also running the up-to-date firmware for the monitor.

Does anyone have a possible suggestion on what is causing me these issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2021
Hi! I have a similar problem with my Nuc D54250WYK - HDMI port does not work at all, no signal on monitor. I changed 3 different monitors, different cables, changed BIOS IGD Primary Video Port from Auto to HDMI and nothing helps. I'm thinking now about updating BIOS. Did you tried that?
P.S. Sorry for my bad english =(