HDMI monitor wrong resolution after GPU upgrade

henryheyhey123

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Hi all,

I've just upgraded from an AMD r7 260x to the Asus GTX 970, but from the moment i installed the drivers i noticed my other monitor is stuck at 4:3 at 1024x768, and is labelled 'generic non-PnP monitor'. It's connected via a HDMI to VGA adapter. Anyone know a fix?

Unkk

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
Your monitor manufacturer may have a driver INF file that you can force to be your default monitor. That file should have all the resolutions and refresh rates defined in it. If not, then you can try to change it manually. Use Device Manager to update your driver for your monitor, choose it from a list manually, select Standard Monitors for the manufacturer and Digital Flat Panel with the max resolution of your monitor.

henryheyhey123

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Yep, I've got the inf file, but I'm not sure how to use it as the default?

EDIT: I tried to do your second option, but its giving me no choice but to use either generic Pnp or generic non-PnP monitor drivers. Sending it to the place with the actual driver is just ignored, saying its already up to date with the non-Pnp monitor drivers

Unkk

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
In device manager, open the Monitors section, right click on your generic monitor and click on Update Driver.
Browse computer for driver software
Pick from a list of device drivers
Uncheck the Show compatible hardware
At this point all the Digital Flat Panels with resolutions specified should show up. You can choose one of these or:
Click on Have Disk
Search for your INF file
select it and hope it's Win8 compatible.

Aug 20, 2018
Sorry to revive this dead thread but another solution i've just found after none of these other solutions worked for me is, selecting the display settings for your monitor and changing the monitor's orientation to portrait. that forced the monitor to the native resolution for me and after all i did was swap it back to landscape and the problem was solved.