HDMI no sound

hcheng

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I recently bought a computer and installed an ATI Radeon 4650 graphics card. I use the HDMI connector on the card to connect to my TV. The video works beautifully, but I noticed that sometimes my sound stops working for some reason. I have to unplug the HDMI cable from my computer and plug it back in in order to get the sound to work again. Does anyone know why something like this is happening? This is really annoying since I am using my computer as an HTPC.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

leon2006

Distinguished
Three important things to get the sound on ATI 48XX cards HDMI connection to TV

1) Use ATI DVI-HDMI converter. Then connect the HDMI cable from video card to HDTV
2) Go the control Panel SOUND OPTION. Select ATI HDMI Output as Default Playback.
3) The sound or Audio is assigned to the PRIMARY DISPLAY. The HDTV must be designated as PRIMARY DISPLAY. This can be done on CCC.

The above should take care of it. Take note that this assumes that your software /driver installation for the ATI video card is correct.

juno1

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I am having the same problem with my 4670. I tried everything but the under the Sound Option I do not get the "Ati Hdmi" option.

leon2006

Distinguished
Juno1

If your driver installation & bios settings are correct. Using the Device Manager /(Sound, Video & Game Controllers) you should see "ATI High Definition Audio Device."

On the Sound Option at the Control Panel you should see "ATI HDMI Output"

juno1

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009

Under "Sound and Audio Devi" i get only the "SigmaTel Audio"

Under "Device Manager --> Sound Video" I can see "ATI HDMI Audio"

juno1

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009

Under "Sound and Audio Devi" i get only the "SigmaTel Audio" only, nothing else

Under "Device Manager --> Sound Video" I can see "ATI HDMI Audio"

I have no idea why. I have reinstalled the drivers from CD and from reltech, same outcome

juno1

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Sorry, I don't know what CCC is.

But under the "Shouds an Audio Devices Properties" the only option I have is "SigmaTel Audio"

CCC is the ATI Catalyst Control Center

4890deaf_oc.jpg

The ATI Radeon 4670 graphics card is NOT the display. Did you have the HDTV attached when you were looking at CCC?
Also look in Control Panel and see what Display info/properties is there.

G

I have the same problem. I have the HIS 4650 AGP, it has a native HDMI and when I try to install the HD audio driver it ask to reboot and then I don't see it anywheres in my system? Anyone else getting this wierd install problem? I don't know what more to do? I'm going to try and boot in safe mode and reinstall the driver. I'll be back to see if this fixed the problem.

juno1

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Hi Anonymous,

I called the vendor and they could not fix the problem. So I RMA it back and got the XFX Radeon HD 5770. I know, it cost more but it’s worth the headache. The HD5770 installed on XP and Win7 without any problems. I am using only half of its capacity, not sure how it will perform for hardcore gaming.

Hope this will help you,

Thank you,

-J

thrylos

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Thought I would post in this thread because it seemed like the best match to the problem I'm having. I've got the Radeon 3200 Card, on XP Pro using the M3A78-EMH HDMI Motherboard.

I've got an HDMI connection from my PC to a 32" LCD. The picture works fine, no problem there. And initially, the audio does as well after starting up my computer. However, after switching inputs back and forth from TV and back to PC several times, any streaming video I try play or anything from youtube, I have no sound. I usually remedy this by restarting my computer which gets the sound working again, but invariably I run into the same problem some time after with the sound not working for streaming video or youtube eg.

I looked into the above suggestions and they don't seem to work. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Prickle12

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I've suffered with similar problems with an ati Radeon 4890 (connected to a sony bravia through HDMI) on an MSI P55-GD65 motherboard, running windows 7 64bit. I cured the problem of either booting up with no sound and having to re-boot to enable the sound or losing sound effects in games and having to quit the game and then go back in again to get sound back. I did this by disabling the motherboards on-board sound through the BIOS and that was it problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Val The Impalor

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I recently re-installed my windows 7 due to addition of new memory and having some memory errors. After installation I have noticed that my sound doesn't work through an HDMI with Radeon HD 5770. I remembered that this happened before but I completely forgot how I fixed the problem.
SOLUTION:
Finally my brain woke up and said, check the driver updates for your motherboard. My motherboard has integrated sound card and so there was the problem. I have a Gigabyte 770T AM3 USB3 motherboard and there you go. I don't know if the motherboards with no sound will work, but then again, I don't remember a single motherboard not having the sound card integrated in it. May be back in the old days.
So just update/download your motherboard audio/sound drive from whatever company your motherboard was manufactured at.
Hope I helped. :D
Val. (AKA The IMPALOR) :p