Question HDMI port dead, need advice

alanvatrox

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Hi all, recently my laptop's HDMI port stopped working.
It's been plugged into a TV every once in a while weekly and one day it just stopped detecting any TV/monitor.

I tried working cables, re-installing Intel Graphics, cleaning the port with alcohol, installing updates, nothing. It only recognizes VGA (another port).

So, my question is, should I buy a new port and solder it? Is it worth it and if so, do I need to worry about compatibility? Thanks

If you are sure there are no driver or SW issues then it's possible contacts in the port are damaged or worn out. On the other side, GPU and drivers have to detect active monitor/TV set as it sends data about it's capabilities so OS and drivers can send compatible signal. Look in TVs OSD if input is set to receive signal compatible with GPU and particular input port is enabled.

alanvatrox

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
If you are sure there are no driver or SW issues then it's possible contacts in the port are damaged or worn out. On the other side, GPU and drivers have to detect active monitor/TV set as it sends data about it's capabilities so OS and drivers can send compatible signal. Look in TVs OSD if input is set to receive signal compatible with GPU and particular input port is enabled.
It always worked by just plugging it in, I even plugged consoles and another laptop and worked. I also tried with 2 working TVs and none detected any signal from the laptop.

My laptop doesn't have an integrated GPU, only the bare minimum Intel and already tried every option related to software I can