Question HDMI port stops working after every Nvidia and Windows update

Apr 1, 2020
Alright, so Ive bought this laptop from a friend who did a Clean windows install from a USB for me before receiving it.

After a while I thought of doing some updating, after doing the usual updating -I am somewhat tech savvy- I restarted the laptop and that's when it started; the second screen connected by HDMI trough a vga converter to my laptop no longer turned on. So I thought; well maybe its something to do with the VGA/HDMI converter, however, after connecting it to my television it did not connect to my television either.

So, after googling for a while and fiddling with deleting updates, rollbacks and connecting it to the tv and connecting it to the second screen again, different start up sequences and what not it usually turns back on after a while of trying different things. But then when another update rolls around itstarts all over again.

I noticed that what is most reliable is deleting newly installed Windows KB updates. However as you might expect, this is not really optimal or safe to do every time.

I have just now deleted all my old GPU drivers using DDU and reinstalled them, once again but it did nog work. After this I also reinstalled Windows from a USB and once again updated all my drivers, atleast to the extent of my somewhat acceptable knowledge, but this still left my second screen in a pitch black limbo.

Can someone explain or help me out here? Im and the end of my knowledge.

Specs:
Laptop: MSI GL62M 7RD
BIOS: E16J9IMS.324
CPU: Intel core i5-7300HQ @ 2.5GHZ
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
RAM: 8GB

it is more than likely just Windows changing your settings to only use it's main display when new drivers/updates get installed.
almost every time i want to output to an external display i have to manually enable the secondary external display through Windows Display Settings or Nvidia Control Panel.

next time this issue occurs check Display Settings and NCP and see if the secondary display is available there. if it is recognized but not being used, then it just needs to be enabled.

the updates themselves would not be causing the issue, just Windows settings being altered back to default for some reason.

Reactions: Littlepoll
Apr 1, 2020
it is more than likely just Windows changing your settings to only use it's main display when new drivers/updates get installed.
almost every time i want to output to an external display i have to manually enable the secondary external display through Windows Display Settings or Nvidia Control Panel.

next time this issue occurs check Display Settings and NCP and see if the secondary display is available there. if it is recognized but not being used, then it just needs to be enabled.

the updates themselves would not be causing the issue, just Windows settings being altered back to default for some reason.

Well, I guess that's somewhat part of the problem, the second screen isnt ever recognized when its not connecting after an update.

And NCP only shows three options to me which are under 3D settings:
-Adjust image settings with preview
- Manage 3D settings
-Set physx configuration

But nothing about displays or anything besides the 3D settings tab

And NCP only shows three options to me which are under 3D settings:
-Adjust image settings with preview
- Manage 3D settings
-Set physx configuration
that's odd. there should also be a "Display" and "Video" section in this list each with their own options underneath.

what about Windows > Display Settings?
on the Display page there should be a "Multiple Displays" section with "Advanced Display Settings" under that. on the Advanced Display Settings page you should be able to access options for each connected display.
does the external display show here?

Apr 1, 2020
I know its pretty weird, I didn't understand it either. Well atleast I did untill a friend told me its unusual to only have that in NCP. Because ive never had more than that on any of the PC's ive owned with dedicated graphics.

The display isnt popping up there aswell. Its just non exsistant for the laptop basically.

Apr 1, 2020
I know its pretty weird, I didn't understand it either. Well atleast I did untill a friend told me its unusual to only have that in NCP.

Is it possible that there is some problem with the boot sequence of my GPU thus it resulting in only seeing the 3D option? Instead of alsof seeing Display and Video