[SOLVED] HDMI scaling issue with brand new Aorus RX 6700 XT Elite ?

gernstsmit

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I recently upgraded from a R9 290X OC card to an Aorus RX6700 XT. My screen (to be replaced within the next 6 months with a 1440p screen) is a Samsung 1080p 24" 60 hertz monitor that I've had so long I can't remember when I bought it. When I boot up my fully updated Windows 10 with the standard 1080p resolution, the image is displayed smaller than the actual size of the screen with a black band right around the entire image of about 1.5cm. I cannot get it to display the native 1080p resolution correctly.

In the Radeon settings there is a "HDMi scaling" feature. I can use this setting to "zoom" the image until it fills up the entire screen (which is how it is running now), but the resulting image is blurry and appears almost out of focus.

The problem disappears completely as soon as I start up any game. So far I have played Cyberpunk 2077, Farcry 4, Skyrim, GTA5, RDR2 and other games. As soon as any game loads the in game menu's are displayed perfectly without and blurring. The games themselves also display perfectly, with no scaling or blurring issues. As soon as I close the game and go back into windows, the blurry image is back. (Note: I run all my games natively at 1080p, no other resolution settings are used anywhere).

Any ideas what the cause could be of this strange problem? Why can't Windows 10 display the correct image size, but the games are perfect ? I'm stumped.

Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

Please also list your full system specs and do include the exact make and model of your PSU.

gernstsmit

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

Please also list your full system specs and do include the exact make and model of your PSU.

Will try DDU tonight at home and report tomorrow. In the meanwhile here is my system specs:

Case: Cooler Master MB530P
Motherboard: Asus Strix X570-F
CPU: AMD 3700x
GPU: Aorus RX 6700 XT Elite 12GB
Memory: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C14R, 2 x 8GB, 3200MHz, CL14
PSU: Corsair CX750M
OS drive: Adata SX8200 Pro series 512GB NVME SSD
Game drive: Intel 660P 2TB NVME SSD
Data drive: Seagate 4TB HDD

Will try DDU tonight at home and report tomorrow. In the meanwhile here is my system specs:

Case: Cooler Master MB530P
Motherboard: Asus Strix X570-F
CPU: AMD 3700x
GPU: Aorus RX 6700 XT Elite 12GB
Memory: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C14R, 2 x 8GB, 3200MHz, CL14
PSU: Corsair CX750M
OS drive: Adata SX8200 Pro series 512GB NVME SSD
Game drive: Intel 660P 2TB NVME SSD
Data drive: Seagate 4TB HDD
I would advise you to upgrade the PSU sooner rather than later. It's an old model that is not as reliable as the non M model (Corsair CX). It falls under tier C in the curated PSU tier list:

A system like yours should have at least tier B. Of course your aim should be for tier A but tier B will also do fine.

gernstsmit

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
So I did DDU and reinstalled latest GPU driver from AMD. Noted some interesting things:

1. Scaling issue was present in safe mode.
  2. Scaling issue also present after DDU and before driver installation.
  3. Scaling issue still persistant with fresh driver install.
So it appears that the problem has got nothing to do with my AMD drivers. Other than that still no clue what is going on.

EDIT: So this is interesting, I decided to check something, the scaling issue is also present in the BIOS. This means its not a Windows issue or a software issue. Must be some issue with my screen itself then. Still no idea how to fix it other than to replace the screen.

Will take PSU replacement under advisement and replace as soon as practically possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: dotas1

gernstsmit

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
SOLVED!

OK, so the problem was not with my PC, but with a setting on my screen. In the on screen menu I searched around till I got to a setting "Image Size" this had three options. It was set in "Wide" and I changed it to "Just Scan" and that fixed the problem. Scaling now correct. (The third option was "4:3").

Reactions: dotas1