Hdmi shorted out on tv and pc. Why????

Jan 24, 2019
I have a rog strix rtx 2080 O8G graphics card. Also, a Samsung 4k smart tv with the one connect box. I have had the tv for over a year, and have consistently used each port. The computer is only a month old, and I have been using a 1080p gaming monitor. I ordered a new hdmi cable to run the computer on my 4k tv, and when I plugged it into the one connect box, it shorted the one connect box (sparks and heat) and also the rtx 2080. Why did this happen??? I am guessing it had to be the hdmi cable, but I didn't even know it was possible for an hdmi to short out like that. Also, it is a 50 ft hdmi cable. Thankyou

Jan 24, 2019
Ok, so today. I got another graphics card from amazon. Ran it on my computer fine with the gaming monitor. Then I shut down the pc, psu and all. And tried connecting to the samsung one connect, while it is powered off. It immediately sparked and shorted out the one connect and physically burnt the hdmi cable and one of the hdmi ports on the graphics card. I just don't understand. Why did this happen?? I can use the one connect with my verizon box, my ps4, my wii u, and my switch. Why does it immediately short out on the pc?? Especially with no power on the pc!!!