hdmi sound output static

kill_phil666

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
I have an ASUS Z97-A motherboard and an ASUS Geforce GTX 760 video card connected to an ASUS VS247 monitor.

I recently rebuilt this pc and installed a fresh copy of windows 10 pro.

I am using the HDMI pass through sound port on the monitor to connect my speakers as the speaker cables don't reach the sound port where the tower is located.

I am getting intermittent static through the speakers when listening to YouTube videos (i listen to music videos while I work).

I get the static when doing certain things on the pc, like whenever I open a new browser tab and start a search, or open the print dialog, or open device manager. I guess just general usage causes it. I assume the easy fix is probably to get a mini jack extension cable for the speakers but if there is a way I can keep using the HDMI pass through on the monitor that would save me the trouble.

Thanks!

kill_phil666

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
I'm pretty sure I figured it out.

I read one or two posts about other system devices causing interference. It turns out it was the network drivers. I had let windows 10 install the drivers for my network adapter and it worked fine, but just to be sure they were okay I went and got the drivers from the asus website. well the drivers there were for a realtek adapter, so I thought oh no wonder its causing problems, the device manager shows an intel driver. well nope, the drivers on the asus site are wrong. so I went and grabbed the intel drivers from the intel site and grabbed the chipset drivers while I was at it, and so far no sound distortion.

thanks for the suggestion, I did consider the cable but it was working perfectly on my last system running windows 7.

kill_phil666

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
fired up the pc again this morning, the problem is definitely still there. There is another symptom that I didn't notice before. my browser actually becomes pretty unresponsive when the static is occurring. also, maybe static isn't the best way to describe it. the music actually becomes distorted sounding and the play speed actually slows down.

still looking for a solution!