Question HDMI splitter to vga help

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi i found an old monitor i want to connect to that ive put next to my drum kit so i can watch youtube etc while playing along.
So 2 monitors ...
My PC gpu has hdmi , dvi, and display port, the main monitor has only hdmi and vga, the old one i found only had vga.
I bought a hdmi to vga adapter and a 2 way hdmi splitter, when i plug it all in my main monitor goes off and the old crappy monitor asks to change resolution.
I cant change settings as the main monitor goes off.
Is there a way to fix this?
Other than that i can go dvi to hdmi to hdmi/vga adapter.
Any help please

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Card is nvidia geforce 1060 , and yeh the PC has vga on the motherboard , i have a 5 meter hdmi cable so was trying to make use of that as i spent money buying a hdmi splitter and hdmi to vga adaptor.
The 2nd monitor is on the other side of the room so cant use a short cable .
I have a dvi to hdmi adapter aswell.......could i go dvi to hdmi adapter, female hdmi to female hdmi connecter , then hdmi to vga adapter..............just typing that makes me want to buy a laptop for this purpose.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Don't use the splitter that is what is causing the black screen, if it doesn't auto detect try setting resolution on your main monitor as low as it will go, shut down and connect only the VGA monitor. If that works set the correct resolution for it and reconnect your main monitor.