Question HDMI-to-AV converter for ARC-to-audio extraction?

Mawla

Reputable
May 21, 2021
Last edited by a moderator:

kanewolf

Titan
Can an HDMI-to-AV converter like the one shown in the image and link be used to extract analog audio from a TV ARC output?
Please note that this is not about sound bars or a dedicated ARC decoder with multi-channel outputs.

Can't upload a picture now for unknown reasons. Will be back later
Ah, here it is.

View: https://i.imgur.com/kNhrgLk.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Okubox-Composite-Converter-Chromecast-DVD-Black/dp/B08J3ZN6Z2/
I think you could. You would not connect the video to anything. This seems like the hard way to do it. For a couple $$$ more you can get a different audio extractor and be able to use the HDMI connection also -- https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Converter-Adapter-Splitter-Compatable/dp/B084RN22MW

Mawla

Reputable
May 21, 2021
Thanks for the reply.
The reason I want to do it this way is that I want to use my existing analog audio system for all inputs to the TV. Your way will work for the HDMI output from the cable set-top box but not for other sources like internet video (Netflix, YouTube, etc.) and USB.

At the moment, I feed the speakers from the TV's headphone output. I want to bypass the TV's built-in audio amplifier.

What I haven't been able to find out with a not-too-rigorous search is if normal HDMI audio and ARC use the same pins and encoding

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reply.
The reason I want to do it this way is that I want to use my existing analog audio system for all inputs to the TV. Your way will work for the HDMI output from the cable set-top box but not for other sources like internet video (Netflix, YouTube, etc.) and USB.

At the moment, I feed the speakers from the TV's headphone output. I want to bypass the TV's built-in audio amplifier.

What I haven't been able to find out with a not-too-rigorous search is if normal HDMI audio and ARC use the same pins and encoding
You want low quality video also? Then I guess what you linked could work.

kanewolf

Titan
No. The video will be left as it is. Only the audio will be extracted. The video output of the converter will be unused.
If that is the case, then the one I listed would be as good. It has 1/8 inch plug rather than RCA connectors, but you can still use the HDMI. Many TVs require the video input to be selected to the same input as the audio.

Mawla

Reputable
May 21, 2021
If that is the case, then the one I listed would be as good. It has 1/8 inch plug rather than RCA connectors, but you can still use the HDMI. Many TVs require the video input to be selected to the same input as the audio.
That's still not it. Your unit will extract audio only from one source before it goes into the TV. The ARC output of a TV will include audio from any selected input. I've made a drawing of the scheme. It will work. The only question is whether an HDMI-to-AV converter, not a dedicated ARC extractor, will work.

11OOJkI.png