Question HDMI to Display port cable? Bi-Directional?

Blackink

Distinguished
I have this laptop: Model Yoga 7 2-in-1 16IML9.
I want to connect a Dell P23143HT flat monitor to the HDMI port on the laptop.
The Dell monitor has: Display port, DVI-D, and VGA connections.

There is nothing wrong with the laptop monitor, I'd like to expand/increase my desktop view when I'm working and use the laptop's monitor along with the dell monitor.

I need some advice on which cable to buy. I'm thinking the best connection would be HDMI (from the laptop) to Display port (on the monitor).

When I look through Amazon's choices, I see all kinds of cables. Some labeled "Bi-Directional", some not labeled at all, some labeled "Display Port (source) to HDMI (Display).

Can someone offer suggestions on which cable would work the best on the set-up I'm trying to achieve?!?

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Direction does matter so ignore/ not purchase the bi-directional stuff. As above the adapter needs to be active, ie powered by usb.

This should help you out further (just input fields) and suggested cables.

Blackink

Distinguished
Now.... I only suggested HDMI (source) to Display port (monitor) because I thought that would be the best connection for viewing.
Going from HDMI to Display port using an active adaptor, according to the Website posted above, isn't very reliable.
Maybe I should go from HDMI (source) to DVI (display) with this cable? : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S4R5CK/?tag=linus21-20&th=1

It does say it's Bi-directional though but maybe it'll work better than HDMI to Display Port.
I don't need audio, only video.

Thoughts?

I have this laptop: Model Yoga 7 2-in-1 16IML9.
I want to connect a Dell P23143HT flat monitor to the HDMI port on the laptop.
Your laptop has:
2x USB-C (with DP alt mode) and​
1x HDMI.​

Your monitor has:
Display Port and​
DVI port.​

You can connect monitor to laptop with:
  1. USB-C to display port cable,
  2. HDMI to DVI cable (fine for 1080p display resolution, max 2048 × 1536, but will not give 4k resolution, if you decide to connect 4k monitor later)
Both these are passive bi-directional options.

HDMI to DP cable will always be unidirectional - works from HDMI source to DP monitor
(will not work with DP source and HDMI monitor).

Last edited:

Blackink

Distinguished
Your laptop has:
2x USB-C (with DP alt mode) and​
1x HDMI.​

Your monitor has:
Display Port and​
DVI port.​

You can connect monitor to laptop with:
  1. USB-C to display port cable,
  2. HDMI to DVI cable (fine for 1080p display resolution, max 2048 × 1536, but will not give 4k resolution, if you decide to connect 4k monitor later)
Both these are passive bi-directional options.

HDMI to DP cable will always be unidirectional - works from HDMI source to DP monitor
(will not work with DP source and HDMI monitor).
I purchased this cable, plugged it in, connected the Dell 24" monitor and I'm on my way!!
Thanks a bunch for pointing the USB-C port out to me. I didn't realize it could add another monitor through that connection.
Much appreciated.

EDIT: Moderators can mark this thread "Solved".

TRENDING THREADS