Question HDMI to DisplayPort doesn' work

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
Hi all. My HDMI (PC) to DisplayPort (monitor) cable doesn't work. Is there any way to make it work? Any ideas why it doesn't work? I mean, I know that HDMI works, and DP works, but HDMI to DP - doesn't. How come? I would really like to learn why. And more importantly, how to make it work. The monitor is HP EliteDisplay E221i (DP), if that matters, and the computer - some old Dell laptop (HDMI). I need to make it work, to connect, because I need the 2nd monitor (2 external monitors, with built-in monitor disabled scenario), and this is the only way to connect it.

Cheap cables allow more voltage drop and older monitors/computers may not have enough power out when using an dapator.
Active adaptors, that require power, normally work better because they keep the voltages stable

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
I'm not using the adapter, I'm using the cable. After some research, I think I found out that DP (PC) to HDMI (monitor) will work, but not the opposite. But the question remains why? Is it only about the voltage? If so, I'm sure there is a way out. I just need to find it.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B015OW3M1W/ Now your turn, please tell me whether it's an adapter, or has something to do with DVI, or anything else you may imagine. Sorry to be rude, but I mentioned CABLE, and I mentioned DP and HDMI. Nothing else; no adapters, no DVI, nothing else.
Adapter cables and adapter dongles are both forms of adapters.

Most adapters only work in one direction. Refer to the product description, or the thread I linked.