HDMI to Displayport / DVI oddity

gtsaq

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
I built a mini itx AM4 / Athlon 200GE system with an ASUS ROG Strix B450-I MB. This mb only has HDMI 2.0b for video. I have Samsung A850D which only has DVI and Display Port which can do 2560x1440 resolution. I have not found a way to achieve this resolution using current cables with this system - tried an active HDMI-Display Port cable from amazon which advertises it can to 4K - didn't work. A regular HDMI to DVI single link does 1920x1080. I've read that HDMI to dual link DVI cables don't actually support higher than 1920x1080 - extra pins were just added. I'm prepared to settle for the lower resolution though I started eyeing a new monitor with an HDMI input.

Now here's the weird thing - as part of just playing around with connections, I hooked up my Surface Go via USB-C to a powered 3rd party docking station with HDMI out. I'm using an HDMI to SINGLE link DVI cable. I'm getting the max monitor resolution 2560x1440 at 59hz 8 bit from the Surface Go.

How is this possible given what I thought I knew about these connections? If I can get this resolution with an HDMI to single link DVI cable via a docking station on the Surface Go, why can't I get it on my desktop computer? Should I try a passive HDMI to dual link DVI cable? After what I'm seeing with Surface go and docking station, the cable doesn't appear to be the resolution limiting issue. I'm confused now.

Latest posts