[SOLVED] HDMI-to-VGA adapter not working with Windows laptop and projector combo

Jan 7, 2021
I was trying to connect my relatively new laptop (with Win10, an integrated Intel UHD GPU and a GeForce MX250) to an older Acer X115 projector using an HDMI-to-VGA adapter, but it did not work for some reason. The adapter didn't work with my friend's older Win10 laptop either. To troubleshoot, I used the same adapter, cable and laptop and connected it to a Philips 246E monitor, which worked flawlessly. I also tried connecting my Pi4 (with the most recent Pi OS) to the projector with the same adapter and cable, and that worked too. So it seems that the problem is with the specific combination of Windows 10 and the projector itself. Any ideas what could be the problem?

Solution
Go into the projector settings and see if supports a higher resolution.
By the way, I have a laptop and a PC with Nvidia GPUs and I could go down to 800x600 resolution.
What's the native resolution of the Acer projector?
The projector only has a VGA connection?
An old protector might support lower resolutions than your laptop (800x 600, ) via VGA.
Try changing the laptop's resolution to match the projector.

Jan 7, 2021
What's the native resolution of the Acer projector?
The projector only has a VGA connection?
An old protector might support lower resolutions than your laptop (800x 600, ) via VGA.
Try changing the laptop's resolution to match the projector.

According to the specs sheet, the projector only has an 800x600 native resolution. But my laptop only seems to go down to 1024x768 (though it only changes the built-in display anyway, since it does not detect that another display is connected at all). It doesn't work with that resolution either. I tried changing the refresh rate as well (as recommended in another forum) but that did not help either. There is only an S-Video connector otherwise. I guess I am doomed.