[SOLVED] Hdmi to vga not working

viper23

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
Hello,

Finally i got my aorus rx580 and its run well with my tv. But not with my monitor.

I have an old monitor acer x193hq which has only vga port so i bought a hdmi to vga cable for that but its not working its showing black screen nothing else.

I need help regarding that how to fix it

Thanks

Solution

Be careful when reading what follows. Video driver is not the same as monitor driver. Video drivers run a video card. Monitor driver is explained below.

EDID is a listing of monitor capabilities. The old VGA "driver disk" (monitor driver) wasn't really a driver, it was just a database formatted such that the operating system would know what is attached (monitor driver disks have no executable code other than to help put the data where it belongs). EDID is automatic and allows the video card's driver to query the monitor (i2c protocol and powered by the video card, so even if a monitor is off it can be queried). Some video drivers may not support the old VGA style...

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Should've bought a adaptor for either DVI to VGA or HDMI to VGA and not a cable since it lets you plug VGA to VGA directly (nevermind just saw the link) You should just buy a proper monitor, VGA is useless at this point since it limits a lot of the things you see on screen and running a RX580 on that resolution is not even worth it. You can find some 60hz 1080p monitors cheap these days

VGA does not provide the EDID needed for auto configuration. Someone here once pointed out there is an option to provide EDID on VGA...but in the real world it mostly doesn't exist. Don't use VGA, it isn't intended for automatic configuration. HDMI and DisplayPort always use this. Most DVI do, but the pure analog versions might not.

Be careful when reading what follows. Video driver is not the same as monitor driver. Video drivers run a video card. Monitor driver is explained below.

EDID is a listing of monitor capabilities. The old VGA "driver disk" (monitor driver) wasn't really a driver, it was just a database formatted such that the operating system would know what is attached (monitor driver disks have no executable code other than to help put the data where it belongs). EDID is automatic and allows the video card's driver to query the monitor (i2c protocol and powered by the video card, so even if a monitor is off it can be queried). Some video drivers may not support the old VGA style driver disk (meaning only EDID is supported)...but if they do, this is how you should achieve setting up your VGA monitor (if you find the monitor at the manufacturer site and it has a driver download, then this is what such a driver is for a monitor). If the video card driver does not support this, it won't hurt to try...but it also won't fix anything.

If your video card has no ability to use the old style monitor driver disk, or if you can't find the old monitor driver, you will be limited to an active VGA-to-HDMI adapter. You probably don't want to do this. Most adapters are passive and there simply isn't any EDID data...if your monitor works with some standard mode which the current video driver defaults to, it will work for that mode (it is a case of good luck). If not, then only an active adapter will work. An active adapter provides the missing EDID. You have to program it in. There are ways of finding what the EDID data should be for given monitor specifications...but if you couldn't find the driver disk it is unlikely you know the specifications needed anyway.

Now if you happen to have another monitor which is HDMI, and has a mode compatible with your VGA monitor, you could boot up and set video to that setting. Shut down, replace the cable, and if it boots and stays in that mode it should work. It might not stay in that mode since HDMI is hot plug and has the ability to detect the monitor being removed...if the drivers try to be smart and revert to another mode when the original HDMI monitor is removed it might reset everything. Mostly I find this isn't a problem, but it can be.

Solution

Unless you've programmed the EDID in the EDID query will be essentially empty. This is not active until it is programmed to match the monitor (some adapter may be programmed with certain "standard" modes...it's a "spray and pray" method). "Active" does not mean the signal is converted...it means the query of EDID works (it is an i2c circuit).

They can call it anything they want. If EDID is not provided, then regardless of a digital signal the video system has absolutely no way of knowing what is connected. All settings would still require the same "driver disk" a pure VGA monitor requires. EDID is absolutely the only method which allows automatic configuration.