• DVI-D

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • VGA(D-SUB)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

anthonyarc10

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
I just bought a BenQ RL2455HM gaming monitor for a gaming pc that should be arriving in the coming weeks. Excuse my lack of a better word but I'm kind of a "noob" when it comes to hardware.
Anyway, the monitor came with 2 hdmi ports( with one hdmi cable), 1 dvi-d port(with one cable), and a vga/d-sub port(also with a cable). I don't have the pc yet so I can't test anything, but I was wondering which was my best option? I'm guessing I'll be using the speakers on it as well, but may use a headset sometimes too. So is HDMI the best bet? Or is dvi a better option(because I'm pretty sure I have some sort of sound card in pc so its no big deal). I just want to know which will be the best quality overall. I'm not sure if this is a controversial topic, but if it is please vote on the poll...

Sorry for the long question but I hope it makes sense lol. ;)

DVI-D is your best bet.
DVI has a more robust connector (less likely to come out accidentally) and dual link DVI can carry more bandwidth than HDMI
You don't want to use monitor speakers anyway (they are bad) so audio gains you exactly zero.

VGA will definitely look worse. Some people claim to not notice it. I think they are crazy
because at higher resolutions, VGA is notable worse than DVI-D

The best quality would definitely be to go with your dedicated sound card and use DVI.

That said, it is worth mentioning that the monitor has audio passthrough, so there's no harm in using HDMI if you don't have access to your sound card, like if you wanted to use the monitor elsewhere. Then, if you want to use your headset, just plug it directly into the monitor and you're good to go.

I had a weird problem using HDMI on my monitor... the PC read it as a TV. The problem was that the monitor would not go to sleep when I shut the PC off. I had to manually turn off the monitor every time... just like you would a TV. Switched to DVI and the PC properly put the monitor to sleep when it shut off.

anthonyarc10

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014

Thanks!!!

anthonyarc10

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014

Interesting... Thanks for sharing that cause I never would've thought of that! I think I'll go with the dvi-d

anthonyarc10

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014

Thank you so much