HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Case Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandra7979

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Streacom has been making cases like this for a while (I have the FC5 EVO). This one looks like a taller FC5 (or a slimmer FC10). Could you maybe add metric dimensions to the specs table?

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
i feel like the thermal limitations of the passive air cooling, along with the cost, wind up making Intel's Skull Trail NUC a better purchase

cmiconi

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Streacom has been making cases like this for a while (I have the FC5 EVO). This one looks like a taller FC5 (or a slimmer FC10). Could you maybe add metric dimensions to the specs table?

I put them into the table originally, but it seems they never got published. I'll see if I can get them to update the table.

Definitely a nice case, but at $288 ( on mfr's site ) the thing just about costs more than everything that would go inside it. As much as I'd like one, I don't know if I could ever justify spending that much.

These are mainly for folks who must have a fan-less. If you have to add fans, for whatever reason/requirement, that's one expensive enclosure. I have one of their H1-ITX enclosure for a bedroom HTPC, the silence is precious.

jdwii

Splendid
i feel like the thermal limitations of the passive air cooling, along with the cost, wind up making Intel's Skull Trail NUC a better purchase

I can't see how when it can handle a I7 since it can handle 95 watt CPUs not to mention a 750Ti would also be fine in it.

However i agree with the cost part.

It's expensive because the lack of fans. You're getting heat pipes and heatsinks built into the case. You're paying a premium for the quiet.

Et____

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
no place for a SSD and a HDD ?
i still believe any gamer today would like to run their PC with a 250 or 500 gb SSD and most likely add a 1 TB HDD to it

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I'm very curious to find out what temps it would have if you use thermal paste on the heat pipes. From the normal gray goop, to Arctic Silver 5 (as a reference point really), to something "extreme".

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I'm very curious to find out what temps it would have if you use thermal paste on the heat pipes. From the normal gray goop, to Arctic Silver 5 (as a reference point really), to something "extreme".

Sorry! just read it comes with pre-applied thermal paste lol.. still wonder how "better" thermal paste would perform.

cmiconi

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

Sorry! just read it comes with pre-applied thermal paste lol.. still wonder how "better" thermal paste would perform.

The consumer version of the case does not come with pre-applied paste. The second, prebuilt case they sent me did come with the paste applied but that's because it was already put together.

There's a ton of surface area to grease inside that thing, but they do give you plenty of thermal paste and a handy applicator for the grooves. From what little testing I did, the stuff they give you is pretty good. It may not be quite up to par with AS5, but it's as good as most of the other products I've used.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
no place for a SSD and a HDD ?
i still believe any gamer today would like to run their PC with a 250 or 500 gb SSD and most likely add a 1 TB HDD to it

I run 3x500GB SSDs in my system, with no HDD in sight. Also, 1TB SSDs can be had for ~$250 USD these days.

kchilaka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
Does the front panel flip open to expose the optical drive? If it does not I can't see how to use this case with a blu-ray drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.