HDR windows 10, does it have to be done manually?

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
Hi, I've been using HDR on games with windows 10 since it's been available and have grown frustrated with having to go into nvidia control panel switching between 4:2:2 10 bit and RGD 8bit after switching HDR on/off every time I come in and out of HDR compatible games. It has to be done because many games and videos don't support 10 bit colour, and most things that don't support HDR e.g desktop look washed out if you leave it on.
Shadow Warrior 2 a game that was using HDR before the creators update managed to switch HDR on and off automatically as you either entered or exited the game. Is there any way to do this with games now through windows 10 or a 3rd party app? If not is this a failing on windows behalf, Nvidia's behalf or game designers behalf?
It's only a small annoyance, it just seems unnecessary.

iamacow

Admirable
You shouldn't have to turn off 10Bit color because even if games dont "support" it, they will look fine when displaying 8bit colors on a 10bit display.

I've been using a 10Bit display long before this HDR trend (7 years now) and I never have had to turn off 10Bit color.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

To name 2 that don't support 10bit colour, Playerunknown's Battleground's and Worms W.M.D the colours go purple/green/trippy. I think it could be because I'm running these 2 games at 2K on a 4k native TV e.g at 4k the colours are probably right. Playerunknown isn't very well optimised though, so 2K is the only option if I want 60fps. And worms doesn't seem to like running in 4k for some reason.
It's strange HDR works in 4k or 1080p but not 2k. Which is a shame for games without a resolution scaler because 2k looks a fair bit better than 1080p on a 4k screen, it looks much closer to 4k.
Quite often with new games coming out I'm forced down to 2K to maintain 60fps so this will be a recurring theme if I stay in 10bit all the time.

iamacow

Admirable
Well I can't speak for a HDR TV. I've been using a computer monitor. Maybe they act differently than a computer screen on how it interpolates 10bit colors. 99% of HDR TVs are faked HDR. They take the 10bit LUT, cut it down to 8bit and turn up the vivid colors.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

I know some do it but I'm not sure about 99%... I fairly sure it isn't the case with my Samsung KS9000 which is down as a 10-bit screen. HDR is young and has a long way to go but it's impressive all the same. The best HDR content I've seen blows the comparison of 1080p to 4K out of the water, it's a much better wow factor.