HDtune Interface crc error count?

Jalvin

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
So I got HDtune (Attention) Interface crc error count value of 2 in my new hard drive, I try to change SATA cables, hooking the hdd to other computer still gets the "Attention" message in HDtune still the same value. But i try to S.M.A.R.T. test in 4 different program and i got a good result.

Result S.M.A.R.T. CRC error count: Western Digital Caviar 1tb - WD10EZEX-60M2NA0
Harddisk Sentinel Pro: 199 Ultra ATA crc error count (0000000000002) OK
PassMark Disk Chekup: C7 Ultra DMA crc error count (2) OK
CrytaldiskInfo: C7 Ultra DMA crc error count (0000000000002) OK
Acronis Drive Monitor: Ultra DMA crc error count (2) OK
This program is installed to a same computer

Is HDtune is Accurate?
Should i ignore Hdtune?
Thanks!

So i got this screenshot of my test:

Untitled-1_zpsq9zp82id.jpg

Other Screenshot:

Untiw4tled-1_zpsh5efkxsb.jpg

Solution
Hi again, Jalvin!

I don't think you have anything to worry about until the current value starts decreasing. The raw value here indicates the number of errors found during a data transfer, since it's the only "attention" mark (with only 2 communication errors) that appears in the SMART data results, I'd recommend you again to change the SATA cable and test the HDD afterwards. I'd also suggest you to check it on another computer and see if the SMART attribute error appears there.
Whenever it comes to hard drives or any hardware for that matter, it's highly recommended to trust the brand-specific diagnostic tool for that component rather than any third-party utility! The official testing tools are specifically designed for their brand...
Hey there, Jalvin!

I'd recommend you to keep constant backups of the data stored on this WD Blue drive. This is the best way to avoid any data loss in the future. I'd also recommend testing it with WD's brand-specific diagnostics tool - Data LifeGuard. Make sure you run the QUICK and EXTENDED test from the utility and view the SMART results afterwards. Here's a link to it: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=JLzZvC

Either way , I don't think you have to worry about anything just yet. I'd even suggest trying a different SATA cable and checking that it's properly connected to the HDD. This error is usually caused by a miscommunication between the drive and the southbridge (host), but unless the current value starts decreasing I don't think you should be panicking.
However, keeping backups in several different locations (drives) is always a good idea to avoid any headaches later on.

Hope I helped. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Jalvin

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

Thank you for the answer SuperSoph_WD, i just finish my test using WD-Data LifeGuard I run both QUICK and EXTENDED test, the result on both tests are PASS.

I already tried changing SATA cables, and tried to attach the HDD on my other 2 desktop PC, still HDtune gives me Warning on CRC error count.

Can I ignore the HDtune warning, since the WD-Data LifeGuard S.M.A.R.T. test is PASS.

By the way this is my screenshot of the result of WD-Data LifeGuard

149qe6v.jpg

THanks!

Hi again, Jalvin!

Can you please click on the "to view SMART data Right-click for more options." This will get you to view the actual SMART data results and check the CRC error count there. I'd trust the majority of tools saying the drive is okay. However, I'd monitor the drive using SMART diagnostic tools every once in awhile.
Don't forget that having a backup on at least two different storage devices is recommended, in order to avoid the headaches of data loss! :)

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Jalvin

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

Sorry for my very late reply. this is my screenshot for Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows.

11w6lqt.jpg

14botxf.jpg

I try again to run HDtune Pro but still gives again a warning on this HDD

4vmrtl.jpg

So please help, do i need to replace this drive?

Hi again, Jalvin!

I don't think you have anything to worry about until the current value starts decreasing. The raw value here indicates the number of errors found during a data transfer, since it's the only "attention" mark (with only 2 communication errors) that appears in the SMART data results, I'd recommend you again to change the SATA cable and test the HDD afterwards. I'd also suggest you to check it on another computer and see if the SMART attribute error appears there.
Whenever it comes to hard drives or any hardware for that matter, it's highly recommended to trust the brand-specific diagnostic tool for that component rather than any third-party utility! The official testing tools are specifically designed for their brand products.
The most important thing to do in order to keep your peace of mind, is to do regular backups of your data on more than one location (storage device). Even if a hard drive fails, you'd have the data safe and sound. Sending an RMA request and getting a replacement is easy, but data sometimes is irreplaceable.

So, no. I don't think you should replace the HDD because of this particular error that occurs in just one particular utility, since all the other SMART attributes and tools are good, and they show no problematic or weak sectors.

However, let me know if you have any other concerns regarding the WD Blue drive!
Hope I was helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Jalvin

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

ok, many thanks for your help, but i will try to run Data Lifeguard, at least once month to monitor this hard drive. thats it for now, thanks again!

jjjimenez

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
I'm also having the same issues, but the only difference I have would be the ff: (CRC Error count> 200 - 199; 88)

link of screenshots: http://pho.to/A4C1J

I would really appreciate if someone could help me determine what's the problem with this one. (Or is it just okay to leave it like this?)

Sorry for bumping a 2015 post.

Hey there, jjjimenez!

In the future, I'd advise you to create your own thread so that more people would be able to see your issue! A lot of people could lend a hand with the solution in the Tom's Hardware community.
Keep in mind that the best way to avoid any potential data loss is to always have, at least, two copies of your files backed up to an off-site location.
This CRC error could be caused by a faulty power connection to the HDD. I'd advise you to try your WD AV-GP in a different SATA port on the mobo and using a different SATA cable. If you have access to another PC, you might also want to plug it there and check how it will get recognized.
This SMART attribute indicates errors that are caused by a faulty/corrupted communication between the HDD and the host (southbridge) and usually involves an issue with the SATA HDD connector, the SATA cable or the motherboard's ports.

Keep me posted if you see any changes in the SMART results after these troubleshooting steps.
Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
Hi supersoph sorry for bumping this too but im also having the same problem as well as (05)reallocated sector count saying i have 20 retired sectors and saying the drive has damaged sectors, as well as (C4)Reallocated event count saying number of sector replacement operations : 20. They all have warnings on them, im not worried about data loss, what im worried about is my pc performance. Programs often are not responsive and take too long to open a program, like google chrome or control panel. Help me :(

Hey there, @Charseza!

I'm really sorry to hear about your issues with a WD HDD. :( It would be really helpful if you share some screenshots from the SMART data you got for your WD drive. I'd still advise you to back up as much of your data as you can from this HDD to another working storage drive/location. If the health of the HDD is degrading, it would affect the whole system performance. I'd strongly recommend you check the warranty here . If it's still covered by us, you should be able to send an RMA request to our Customer Support and get a replacement soon enough that you can install and run the programs smoothly then. You won't benefit from keeping the hard drive in your system as it would still affect the performance, even if it's just a secondary (non-OS) HDD. The sooner you replace it, the better your PC behavior will be.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
SuperSoph_WD