HDTVs More Expensive Now Than Over the Last 2 Years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
You'd be much better hooking up a small PC to your TV than getting a smart TV. You can upgrade the PC over time, and the display functionality of the TV will work for a decade. But if you get a smart TV, you'll want it to be even smarter 2 years from now and the only option will be a whole new set.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]How can the "Average" price be over $1100? This data can't be right, when you consider the large selection sold at Wal-Mart in the $300-$600 price range. The average price must be lower.[/citation]

Don't confuse average with median. Median price is much lower than $1100. There are some very expensive TV's out there that bring the average way up even if they don't sell many. High end recommendation for Home Theater Mag is a $6000 Sharp panel. For every one of those that is bought, it would take 10 people buying a $600 TV to get the average down to $1100. Even without going that high, the "mid-range" according to HT Mag is $2000-3000. It's quite easy to find TV's in that price range.

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]twelch82[/nom]You'd be much better hooking up a small PC to your TV than getting a smart TV. You can upgrade the PC over time, and the display functionality of the TV will work for a decade. But if you get a smart TV, you'll want it to be even smarter 2 years from now and the only option will be a whole new set.[/citation]

+1

This is what I and everyone where I work does lol Media PC over a "smart" TV anyday

G

I'm glad I bought my HDTV last year then!

...except I barely use it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]How can the "Average" price be over $1100? This data can't be right, when you consider the large selection sold at Wal-Mart in the $300-$600 price range. The average price must be lower.[/citation]

a real, we own a home and have a living room, tv is at least 40inches, a bedroom or tv for the kids is the old liveing room tv, or a new 25inch+

a decent 40 inch tv starts at 1000$ last time i looked at them.

Brogan

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Just bought a 720 Samsung Plasma, 42"... I am quite pleased..........
Next TV will likely be a LCD, but it MUST be at LEAST 120Hz, if not 240...[/citation]
How can anyone want an LCD after owning a plasma?

You either never seen an LCD in your home. Or love severe pixelation.

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]the difference in cost of smart and 3d tv's is insanespend the $700 and buy a 42" hdtv, then spend $300 and connect an ipod to it. you now have a ssmarten than any available smart tv for half the price.I'm sure another price fixing case by the US government will be around the corner for these companies, but right now the process is as follows.Companies release a product then get together to set an artificially high price and agree to not decrease the price. Customers overpay to the tune of billions of dollars for years on end. Eventually the US government "fine's" the corporations responsible for the price fixing so they look like their are defending the people but really its to take their cut of the $'s.You are paying the government to screw you, congratulations. If you received a single cent from the hundreds of millions of dollars of fines to date against these companies for price fixing please correct me.[/citation]
Or spend $600 and get a 42" 3d smart tv like I did and save yourself some money by not needing to buy an overpriced add-on.

uttam531

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I am surprised that the prices have inched up, rather than going down - as one would expect with most of tech products with increasing sales. The other enlightening fact was the increased popularity of 3D TVs and Smart TVs. No wonder LG 3D TV and Samsung are making such rapid strides - offering 3D TVs with Smart features. No matter what 'experts' point out, the buyer on the street wants 3D TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.