Status
Not open for further replies.

lh0628

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Does anybody else get headaches playing FPS games or is it just me?

I tried to play COD4 for about 10 minutes last night and it gave me a pretty severe headache, I almost threw up. It felt like the next morning after a vodka drinking contest.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I've heard of people getting motion sickness..... does anyone in your family have epilepsy? seriously though, if i were you, if this happens again, GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR, I **** you not, if you feel that bad, its never a good sign

lh0628

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I've always been like that, anytime I play those 3D kind of games I get severe headaches.

No epilepsy in my family. I do wear glasses though.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

If the game isn't running smoothly then that makes it worse, do you know what kind of FPS you getting?

ubermoose

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Same thing happens to me. I put it down mostly to the frame rate.

Im fine on crysis but not on COD4 and when i used to play morrowind on a crappy pc it would give me headaches but when i play it on my current pc its fine.

Its only ever happened with FPS's and even then if i keep playing it i sort of get used to it.

ubermoose

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007

I know, it confused me too. I haven't checked the fps for either game. Crysis is running on high and cod4 is just default atm.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

What LCD do you own and what are the spec's?

pathan7

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
can i ask u are the headaches frontal (as in u feel them at the front of your head?) or describe their location because if its frontal it is due to some underlying cause connected to your eyes (Visual Cortex) and the best thing is go see your local GP telling him/her exact symptoms.
All the best

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
COD 4 uses a very narrow FOV of aobut 65 degrees. You can set it to about 85, if you've got the video horsepower. I find that helps.

lh0628

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I'm not sure what the fps rate is as I've uninstalled the game:(

I can't recall the location of my headache too, I think it's my whole head:) just feels like when you had too many vodka shots or had too much smokes in a short period of time.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Does anybody else get headaches playing FPS games or is it just me?

I tried to play COD4 for about 10 minutes last night and it gave me a pretty severe headache, I almost threw up. It felt like the next morning after a vodka drinking contest.
This happened to me the first time playing in CoD4 and GoW because of the realistic bobbing motions your character makes (mainly while sprinting) Usually this feeling lasts about the first 5 minutes of the game for me, after that, it never bothers me again... kinda weird.

You can try to disable the head bob if the option is available, that may help.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

thats practically cheating! (being able to see more enemies) How do you do it?

exfileme

Splendid
I wouldn't think the game-specific framerate would cause problems (headaches in particular), but the graphic chipset refresh rate: if it's set at a certain frequency, and your eyes can't take it, it's likely to cause you headaches. Is it hard to view anything outside games that require a lot of white (like this forum)??

clammypipes

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This is a warning included in the Trackmania Naitons video game, but I will note here also:

1. Do not stand or sit too close to the screen
2. Use video games on a small screen
3. Do not play if tired or have not had enough sleep
4. Play in a well-lit area
5. While playing take 10-15 minute breaks every hour.

dodian

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Changing the FOV to somewhere near 120 (our regular fov) will help reduce motion sickness. I also have motion sickness but its pretty weird. I only get it when I'm inside a building trying to find some stuff. Maybe this confuses my brain into thinking I'm actually in the building causing the nausea. Dramamine is also a motion sickness medicine that helps. If games have the option switching to 3rd person will somewhat help. Try also not to change the camera as that helps me too.

exfileme

Splendid
I still say the refresh rate -combined with your monitor's resolution capabilities- can cause headaches. The subliminal pulsing can really annoy your eyes if not set properly. I'm no doctor of course, I just play one at night.

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007

/cg_fov 80

in console. 80 is the max you can have in multiplayer.

or altering mp_config.cfg, adding or changing seta cg_fov"80"

"consoley" FPS games tend to set the FOV very narrow. Easier on the hardware that way too.

Possible. Easy to check for: Try different resolutions and monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.