[SOLVED] Headers, Lighting, Cooling and such (A PIN Question)

Jun 2, 2020
So hello guys and good day please bear with me I've been searching all over the internet and different forums for a week already so I can have a good clarification until I already registered here.

Okay So I have this computer unit here this was built around 2013. This was an i7 4770, 2x 8gb RAM and the motherboard is H81M s2vp (replacement already the original is H87 Asrock ddr3 MB ) so everything right now is old tech wayback 2013 i just upgraded my GPU from Gtx 650 ti to GTX 1060.

So right now Im trying to "upgrade" well not really upgrade but somehow making my cpu unit a little bit comfortable with its old setup the old Computer Case is really a hotbox right now and I just bought a Lancool 2 from Lian Li a much better upgrade from the old raidmax case which actually lacking of features.

So the question is right now the technology in computer has a new meta wherein people have a better airflow, cpu fans, rgb and all that.

First question my current motherboard which is the Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2VP (rev. 1.0) has only header for SYSTEMFAN and CPUFAN (i will include a photo of it) which can only handle a handful of fans as my current setup right now is 1 intake 1 exhaust and 1 cpu fan. The question is is that what they call the 4 pin? that one that says 12 V?

which in my Lancool2 (haven set it up yet) im planning to at least try to do some kind of 3 intake fans and 3 exhaust and Im not planning on overly spending on water cooling and all that
I understand that I would be needing some type of fan hub into it so it can handle multiple fans at once hub.

My second question is that I got all confused on the 4 pin, 3 pin, RGB and ARGB so technically I understand that my motherboard doest not support any RGB or ARGB headers I ve seen some few fan that uses controller to change colors of the rgb fans but im thinking about the socket because I saw a fan hub that can handle multiple fans at once but it doesnt mean it can handle RGB multiple fans or ARGB multiple fans is that right?

My ultimate last question is this. is there any way to setup at least 6 rgb fans with controllers (which i can control) to this motherboard that does not even have any RGB or ARGB headers.

I saw a lot of converters controllers and led lights on the internet already but I keep getting confused specially my LanCool 2 has a RGB setup already on the front a premade and it says on the instruction you must put it or plug it in the ARGB 3 pin of your motherboard which I dont have so you can have full control of the RGB front panel.

And right now honestly I dont want to upgrade the motherboard itself cause by doing that Ill be upgrading my processor and ram again which I cannot afford as of the moment Im just trying to look for a techy way if possible to solve this.

If not then I guess ill just settle to a fan hub as long as the 6 non RGB fans is installed and the front panel is working fine Im good I guess.

Really do apologize for the long post I just want to have clarity because my myself is getting confused with pins and that is RGB capable.
Thank you guys!

http://findhard.ru/Content/Images/M...1m-d2v-rev-20/gigabyte-ga-h81m-d2v-rev-20.jpg

Solution
For your first question, I assume that you're using a fan splitter for the intake and exhaust, since the cpu fan header is simply for the cpu, right? And the 4-pin that I think you mean that says 12V is the fan header, which is a 4-pin connector. They usually are 12V.

For your second question, if you have a fan hub, I would assume that if it supports rgb fans, the fans that are rgb would work, but if the fans arent rgb, then they simply won't light up. Often these hubs just connect to one of the fan headers (you have one system fan header), and from that one, it will be controlled by the motherboard (if supported by the motherboard, often newer motherboards have support for this. Like msi motherboards with their "Mystic Light"...

NotSoBadAsYouThink

Reputable
Feb 25, 2016
For your first question, I assume that you're using a fan splitter for the intake and exhaust, since the cpu fan header is simply for the cpu, right? And the 4-pin that I think you mean that says 12V is the fan header, which is a 4-pin connector. They usually are 12V.

For your second question, if you have a fan hub, I would assume that if it supports rgb fans, the fans that are rgb would work, but if the fans arent rgb, then they simply won't light up. Often these hubs just connect to one of the fan headers (you have one system fan header), and from that one, it will be controlled by the motherboard (if supported by the motherboard, often newer motherboards have support for this. Like msi motherboards with their "Mystic Light" software"), and power will often come from a SATA or Molex connector. But the connector on your motherboard is a 4-pin fan header, I don't think it supports any rgb, although probably PWM.

And for your last question, yes, there are these kits of 6 fans, or maybe 3 (so you'd have to buy 2), that doesn't require any additional RGB connector on your motherboard. You'll simply have a remote to control them.

Solution