[SOLVED] Headphone Amp Crashing Computer

rubbadubbadoo

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I recently purchased a HA400 4ch headphone amplifier. When it is powered on it instantly causes my system to crash. I have tested the headphone amplifier on other computers and it works fine on them.
I am fairly certain I have a driver/bios issue with my motherboard, but all of my drivers for chipset and audio are up to date.
My Specs:
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz Processor
Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 mATX AMD FX AM3+ Motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 Graphics
16 Gb DDR4 Ram

smh

Solution
I recently purchased a HA400 4ch headphone amplifier. When it is powered on it instantly causes my system to crash. I have tested the headphone amplifier on other computers and it works fine on them.
I am fairly certain I have a driver/bios issue with my motherboard, but all of my drivers for chipset and audio are up to date.
My Specs:
16 Gb DDR4 Ram

smh
The only ways electrically the amp is connected to your PC is via the input of the amp and the power source.

I tend to doubt that the input to the amp is doing anything odd electrically when you power it up to cause a crash.

However I do...

Ralston18

Titan
Good that the amplifier worked on other computers but there may be other differences. E.g., cables, ports, overall connectivity....

On your system what audio output port are you using to connect to the Behringer HA400's input port?

My thought is that there is an electrical power/ audio connection issue versus a drive issue.

Look in Reliability History to see if Windows was able to capture any error codes prior to the crashes.

Failing that sketch out your audio system showing all devices and connections. Post according.

Someone may spot a potential problem/conflict.

My Specs:
16 Gb DDR4 Ram

smh
The only ways electrically the amp is connected to your PC is via the input of the amp and the power source.

I tend to doubt that the input to the amp is doing anything odd electrically when you power it up to cause a crash.

However I do think that it's possible a transient spike or drop or both caused by the draw of turning it on may cause some anomaly in the supply voltage and cause the crash.

I underline "may" because I think it's a stretch and I normally would think it unlikely...but I would try to plug the power for the amp into another outlet...preferably on another breaker....preferably far away from the PC outlet and try it.

Solution

rubbadubbadoo

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Havent looked back on this in a while. Thanks for your replies. This is still an ongoing issue. My solution atm is to not use the HA400 . My signal path is: Computer to MOTU Ultralite Firewire audio interface (via firewire) headphone out to HA400 in. I have used 2 different HAs with this setup. The first one worked with no issues. Sadly, it was destroyed in a driveway accident. The second one causes a system crash when I connect it to the audio interface headphone jack. All power comes from a rack mounted PS. So yes, it is all on the same ground. Maybe the new HA has a different type of rectifier?
At this point I will just replace the HA. But Im still curious about why this is happening.

Havent looked back on this in a while. Thanks for your replies. This is still an ongoing issue. My solution atm is to not use the HA400 . My signal path is: Computer to MOTU Ultralite Firewire audio interface (via firewire) headphone out to HA400 in. I have used 2 different HAs with this setup. The first one worked with no issues. Sadly, it was destroyed in a driveway accident. The second one causes a system crash when I connect it to the audio interface headphone jack. All power comes from a rack mounted PS. So yes, it is all on the same ground. Maybe the new HA has a different type of rectifier?
At this point I will just replace the HA. But Im still curious about why this is happening.
If one worked and another doesn't I'd quickly assume it was defective somehow.