[SOLVED] Headphones for gaming, help me!

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
Hello, I’m here to see what suggestions I get on headphones/headsets mostly for gaming and music!

I am looking to waste something around 125€ but if I need to waste a bit more I will depending on your suggestions!

I don’t know why but I really like Logitech G pro X they look good and simple and they ain’t that expensive, HyperX could alphas are cool too and recently I’ve been looking at DT 770 and Sennheiser GSP’S and PC37X.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
What about some closed options? I might need a closed back because of people in mouse room sand there's people that sleep in my room so yeah xD but i've head openbacks are soo good as well

Hmmm I see... My HyperX Cloud Alphas are fine still I just wanted to get something even better and what i've seen from dt770 kinda made me rethink about more headphones that are better than mine I don't want to waste 140€ for it to be basically the same but I might be wrong thinking I could get something "a lot better" with my price range.
I guess I just want to invest "intelligently" haha, if there's anything better than what I have for extensive gaming(fps mostly valorant\csgo) session which is really important to me and really good for...
I got Sennheiser HD 569 (or 598 CS) and can absolutely recommend them. comfortable to wear, big sound stage, good sound, detachable cable.
DT770s are quite nice as well, I'm a bit turned off by the non-detachable cable though.

most "gaming headsets" suck for music in comparison imho since they boost frequencies that sorta ruin the sound for me.

Hello, I’m here to see what suggestions I get on headphones/headsets mostly for gaming and music!

I am looking to waste something around 125€ but if I need to waste a bit more I will depending on your suggestions!

I don’t know why but I really like Logitech G pro X they look good and simple and they ain’t that expensive, HyperX could alphas are cool too and recently I’ve been looking at DT 770 and Sennheiser GSP’S and PC37X.
Thanks in advance!

As long as you don't care much about built in mic the actual headphones you are looking at are fine. For the headsets with mic, my favorite so far is the Cooler Master MH751, very comfortable, nice neutral sound with decent detail.

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
I've been really looking into DT 770 and 990 I can get them both for the same price any suggestions?
Can you help me with the dac\amp?Do I really need it? If so can you suggest me something, what will happen if I don't buy one and which ohm should I get?

And im really sorry for bothering you guys and being such a newbie!

I've been really looking into DT 770 and 990 I can get them both for the same price any suggestions?
Can you help me with the dac\amp?Do I really need it? If so can you suggest me something, what will happen if I don't buy one and which ohm should I get?

DT 770 is closed back, 990 is open back, I have not heard them myself but there is a comparison here https://majorhifi.com/beyerdynamic-dt770-vs-dt880-vs-dt990-comparison-review/ You want the lower ohm versions if you are not using a headphone amp. The one I use is the FX-Audio DAC-X6 which is a DAC/AMP in one, cheap, good enough sound and power and has a line out to run powered speakers without the volume for the headphones messing with them. Probably the cheapest one you should get and still be in the good quality range. The line out to me was as important as the price, a lot of other DACs have a variable out which means the volume knob controls both headphones and speakers, I did not want that. I want my headphone level to not get messed up when I swapped to using speakers.

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
I hear that the difference between Hyperx Cloud Alpha and DT 770 isnt that noticiable after reading even more reviews I kinda feel like I came back to square one xD
And with hyperx cloud alpha i feel like i miss information in game atleast, like some steps etc

Last edited:
I hear that the difference between Hyperx Cloud Alpha and DT 770 isnt that noticiable after reading even more reviews I kinda feel like I came back to square one xD
And with hyperx cloud alpha i feel like i miss information in game atleast, like some steps etc

You won't really know till you try some models. Going from reviews and opinions of others is only a starting point. I own 6 over ear headphones/headsets and 2 good quality IEM, and had about 4-5 more that I tried for long periods of time and still feel there is more I want to try. Just keep in your head there is no real wrong choice, there is only the first one. I don't do any FPS gaming so don't know about how good you can hear other player direction, just from what sounds good and what I like to listen to.

Thanks in advance!
Depends if you need a mic

I got Sennheiser HD 569 (or 598 CS) and can absolutely recommend them. comfortable to wear, big sound stage, good sound, detachable cable.
DT770s are quite nice as well, I'm a bit turned off by the non-detachable cable though.

most "gaming headsets" suck for music in comparison imho since they boost frequencies that sorta ruin the sound for me.
The ones I have are decent for music while gaming but saying that if I'm just listening to music the sennheisers come out.

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
You won't really know till you try some models. Going from reviews and opinions of others is only a starting point. I own 6 over ear headphones/headsets and 2 good quality IEM, and had about 4-5 more that I tried for long periods of time and still feel there is more I want to try. Just keep in your head there is no real wrong choice, there is only the first one. I don't do any FPS gaming so don't know about how good you can hear other player direction, just from what sounds good and what I like to listen to.
Hmmm I see... My HyperX Cloud Alphas are fine still I just wanted to get something even better and what i've seen from dt770 kinda made me rethink about more headphones that are better than mine I don't want to waste 140€ for it to be basically the same but I might be wrong thinking I could get something "a lot better" with my price range.
I guess I just want to invest "intelligently" haha, if there's anything better than what I have for extensive gaming(fps mostly valorant\csgo) session which is really important to me and really good for music I guess that's what im looking for.
Im sorry if its basically impossible for it to happen :\

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
Depends if you need a mic

The ones I have are decent for music while gaming but saying that if I'm just listening to music the sennheisers come out.
I mean I kinda do need a mic but I'm already set on getting the best quality possible for gaming and music and buying an v-moda boompro or modmic but I don't mind if it has a mic as long as it is better than hyperx cloud alpha

I mean I kinda do need a mic but I'm already set on getting the best quality possible for gaming and music and buying an v-moda boompro or modmic but I don't mind if it has a mic as long as it is better than hyperx cloud alpha
If you're getting a modmic anyway and don't care about other people hearing the game around you get a solid set of openbacks. Just bought a pair of Sennheiser 599s for £95

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
What about some closed options? I might need a closed back because of people in mouse room sand there's people that sleep in my room so yeah xD but i've head openbacks are soo good as well

I own both and while they do have differing sound representation it really comes down to open vs. closed back. I've always picked open for 3 reasons: Ears get less warm/sweat. Can hear what's going on around me ie:wife/kid/phone. Third reason is a big one. I don't have a mic mix input. So I don't hear myself talking/chatting to others through my headset. With open-back headphones I can hear myself talking very naturally. With closed back I ALWAYS end up yelling loud enough so I can hear myself over the game sounds. This is annoying for people in my home and also for people in the game chat.

I also own the DT880 which is a semi-closed back headphone. It really is a mix of the two. It really is a nice, balanced sound.

The greatest pro of the Beyerdynamic DT series is they are VERY lightweight and comfortable.

I guess I just want to invest "intelligently" haha, if there's anything better than what I have for extensive gaming(fps mostly valorant\csgo) session which is really important to me and really good for music I guess that's what im looking for.
Im sorry if its basically impossible for it to happen :\

If you already have the HyperX Clouds then you may want something other than the Beyerdynamics. A story...

First there was Beyer DT 770, they were good. Company called Takstar liked them and basically copied them to make their model Takstar Pro 80. Then HyperX when making the Cloud took that Pro 80 and used it to make the Cloud. So your HyperX Cloud Alpha is actually a descendant of the DT 770. Which is why if you already own the Cloud Alphas the DT 770 may not be "better".

Look at the images comparing them, the mount arm and connection to the cup, the cup shape, you can see the resemblance

71fYEGkRMbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

HTB1r0ZDJVXXXXcpXVXXq6xXFXXXe.jpg

1304153-somic-v2-open-back-hyper-cloud-takstar-pro-80-sony-pulse-elite-wireless.jpg

And like I said in audio there is often not a "better" but a different. If you want different try Audio-Technica ATH-M40x or Cooler Master CM751 (CM751 is a close cousin of the Takstar Pro 82 but better), both closed back and both with different sound signatures than the Cloud Alphas you have.

Sennheiser Game One are a good pick also for a headset with a mic https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Game-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00KK8ZLEC

https://medium.com/@Xander51/headph...s-takstar-pro-80-hyperx-cloud-ii-594e9ec565ae

Last edited:
Solution

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
If you already have the HyperX Clouds then you may want something other than the Beyerdynamics. A story...

First there was Beyer DT 770, they were good. Company called Takstar liked them and basically copied them to make their model Takstar Pro 80. Then HyperX when making the Cloud took that Pro 80 and used it to make the Cloud. So your HyperX Cloud Alpha is actually a descendant of the DT 770. Which is why if you already own the Cloud Alphas the DT 770 may not be "better".

Look at the images comparing them, the mount arm and connection to the cup, the cup shape, you can see the resemblance

71fYEGkRMbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

HTB1r0ZDJVXXXXcpXVXXq6xXFXXXe.jpg

1304153-somic-v2-open-back-hyper-cloud-takstar-pro-80-sony-pulse-elite-wireless.jpg

And like I said in audio there is often not a "better" but a different. If you want different try Audio-Technica ATH-M40x or Cooler Master CM751 (CM751 is a close cousin of the Takstar Pro 82 but better), both closed back and both with different sound signatures than the Cloud Alphas you have.

Sennheiser Game One are a good pick also for a headset with a mic https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Game-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00KK8ZLEC

https://medium.com/@Xander51/headph...s-takstar-pro-80-hyperx-cloud-ii-594e9ec565ae

Ok I just got my sennheiser game one and it sounds really but really bad and its way worse than Hyperx Cloud Alpha any idea?
It sounds so like opaque, like underwater and kinda plasticii if that makes any sense

Ok I just got my sennheiser game one and it sounds really but really bad and its way worse than Hyperx Cloud Alpha any idea?
It sounds so like opaque, like underwater and kinda plasticii if that makes any sense

There is a thing that people talk about "Sennheiser veil" but that does not seem to be what you are experiencing. Not sure what would be causing the sound issues for you, you may try them on a few systems and if you still don't like them return them. I have a set of Sennheisers, not the gaming headset a standard headphone, and don't have any issues with how they sound.

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
There is a thing that people talk about "Sennheiser veil" but that does not seem to be what you are experiencing. Not sure what would be causing the sound issues for you, you may try them on a few systems and if you still don't like them return them. I have a set of Sennheisers, not the gaming headset a standard headphone, and don't have any issues with how they sound.
Already wrote an email to the store to see if i can return them, but its really weird i was even thinking about buying a dac+amp but i mean for that i would rather just buy a the dt's or the ones you suggested above like coolermaster or mh40x
does it sound lifeless? like a 10€ cheap earbuds like i dont know im so sad bro i was so hyped and the headset is so not good, the vocals seem weird, no bass at all, sounds like a really cheap like no warmth