Question Headphones work in sound device menu but no where else.

Ysil69

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
So I've got quite the tricky set of headphones. They no longer seem to be working. I can hear the test under sound devices, and I can play back the mic, but outside of there it doesn't work. Under windows control panel the test doesnt work, discord doesnt pick it up. Nothing.

They're a pair of turtle beach px22. Old and I assumed they were just done but I can still hear and send sound under the sound devices menu. Any ideas?

I will give you the opportunity to try for headset issues so at least something will work.
  • Go to Setting >Devices > Autoplay to look for the device and change the default behaviour ---> dropdown menu.
  • Right click <Volume icon> in System tray at right end of Task bar <Open Sound Settings> in dropdown menus at top.
  • Make sure Headphones are selected and Connected for both Playback devices.
  • If not again right click <Volume icon> in System Tray to choose Troubleshoot sound issues.
  • Try the Hardware Troubleshooter at settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

Ysil69

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
Windows troubleshooting doesn't detect any issues. And the headset works fine on my other PC. I can test the mic in the sound control panel and it works fine, but it won't work on Discord.

Ysil69

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
Fixed it.

The front jack was overriding the back jack. That was the problem with the sound not coming out from the headphones. And then someone, who knows how, microphone access by apps was turned off.