[SOLVED] Headphpone amplifier

Feb 4, 2021
Hello guys!
I need a help with choice amplifier for my headphones,i buy beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
now there is a choice of an amplifier for them, I do not understand them at all. Is it worth taking tube or ordinary ones? budget up to $ 200
I saw here Nobsound NS-08E It's pretty compact and fits into my budget, is it worth considering?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hello guys!
I need a help with choice amplifier for my headphones,i buy beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
now there is a choice of an amplifier for them, I do not understand them at all. Is it worth taking tube or ordinary ones? budget up to $ 200

For your budget I would not go for something like that Mobsound. Tubes do add a color to the sound but you really need to hear things on your own to decide what you like.

I would get an FX-AUDIO Dac-6 for cheaper side, and a iFi Zen Dac for something higher end.
Hello guys!

For your budget I would not go for something like that Mobsound. Tubes do add a color to the sound but you really need to hear things on your own to decide what you like.

I would get an FX-AUDIO Dac-6 for cheaper side, and a iFi Zen Dac for something higher end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

I'd get a Little Dot MK II with $200. Tubes might actually make the treble manageable in that 990.

bigcountry0291

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I have the Creative Sound BlasterX G6, either connected to computer of using the USB connected to plug adapter for power. I run Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm closed back, with no issues and no sound quality issues.

chetmaster12

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015
My recommendation would be the Schiit Magni 3+. Great performance and a reasonable price.

I love vacuum tubes. Done right, tube amplifiers can sound beautiful. It's one of the few situations where I'll actually say "F*** measurements and THD numbers, this sounds amazing", but there are a lot of tube amplifiers that really suck. They're designed by people who don't know how to use tubes, and many of them starve the tubes with ridiculously low plate voltages. For example, the last tube amp I designed ran almost 500 volts on the plates of the 1625s (similar to a 6L6G).

The very best sounding tube amps are designed by people who know how to use tubes. These days, the best amplifiers are DIY amps built by basement geeks who know 1000 times more about the use of these thermionic transconductance devices than the idiots who slap a few tubes in, run them with 24 volts on the plate and say they've "designed a tube amp".

If you want to do a tube amp, be prepared to spend some money and do your homework. I'm not aware of any $100 or $200 tube amps that are worth touching, at least in my opinion.