Heads-up: Internet Explorer 32- vs 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Just thought I'd pass this along -

I installed Windows 7/64 RC1 the same day it was released to the public, first performing a clean install on en empty drive and later an upgrade install over Vista Ultimate/64 on another drive.

Last night, I happened to notice that the Start menu contains two entries for IE, "Internet Explorer" and "Internet Explorer (64-bit)". One thing led to another, and I quickly found that the IE taskbar icon (from which I habitually start IE) was pointing to the 32-bit version, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe". Thinking this might be a quirk of the upgrade install, I rebooted to the clean install and found the identical situation.

After some quick testing, it is clear that the 64-bit version (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe) is a great deal faster. So, I right-clicked the taskbar IE (32-bit) icon and selected "Unpin this program from taskbar." Then, in the Start menu, right-click the IE (64-bit) entry and select "Pin to Taskbar."

Y'all might want to do the same. :)

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Of course its faster. Adobe flash works fine with my Vista64, didn't for the first year but it does now.

But really, who uses Internet Explorer? Firefox is faster and more secure.

Adobe does not have a Flash Player which works with 64-bit browsers. Operating systems yes, browsers no. If it works for you, it is because you are running the 32-bit version of IE, not the 64-bit version as previously described.

See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

I know this is still current because any attempt to install the flash player in IE64 automatically redirects to the above page.

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I dont use IE at all. The flash ads seem to work fine on my system. They didnt for some time after I upgraded to Vista65, but they have for the last year.

Well, as I said, this is not about 32-bit vs 64-bit operating systems but about 32-bit vs 64-bit browsers.

Vista/64 and Windows 7/64 come with two versions of IE, a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version. Adobe's current Flash Player does not work with, nor can it even be installed, on the 64-bit version of IE.

As wonderful as Firefox is, it is a 32-bit browser designed for 32-bit operating systems and runs in a 32-bit shell when installed on a 64-bit OS such as Vista/64.

Yes your right about 32bit shell on Firefox, forgot about that. Why dont they have a 64 bit Firefox?

They do - It's called 'Minefield'

http://news.cnet.com/think-firefox-3-is-fast-try-firefox-minefield/
http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/09/28/firefox-minefield-faster-than-chrome/

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minefield/

Not quite fully baked yet, but I can tell you it works fine on my computer.

After some quick testing, it is clear that the 64-bit version (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe) is a great deal faster. So, I right-clicked the taskbar IE (32-bit) icon and selected "Unpin this program from taskbar." Then, in the Start menu, right-click the IE (64-bit) entry and select "Pin to Taskbar."

Y'all might want to do the same.

Plus Firefox 64-bit is the default browser on 64-bit versions of Linux. If you want Adobe Flash you either have to install the 32-bit version of Firefox or download and install an alpha version of the 64-bit Flash player. I have yet been able to do either one, but apparently some have got the alpha working.

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Boy, you gotta love those guys:

When will 64-bit versions of Flash Player for Windows and Mac be available?

We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming major release of Flash Player. Windows, Macintosh and Linux players will ship at the same time.

So, is that gonna be, like, um, in 2009? 2011? Perhaps in the year 2525?

Status
Not open for further replies.