[SOLVED] Headset mic doesnt show up

Solution
IMG_20201102_205341.jpg

im confused are these not for headphones and a mic? (left for mic right for headphones)

No that is not a mic jack, that is a line out jack, you can see the arrow pointing away, which shows it's an output.

This is what a mic jack would look like, as you can see in the second picture what you are looking at is an Output not an Input.

images

hwo56km0bajz.jpg
My headset works fine but the mic that comes with it doesnt show up in windows anyone have a fix?

Start at the beginning, what brand and model of the headset, what computer are you connecting it to is it a laptop or desktop, what have you tried already? Using any sort of adapters? Did this work at some point or never worked, a new headset? Did you old one work if this is a new one? Without more details everyone will just be guessing as to what you are doing or what the issue may be.

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Does your microphone appear in "Control Panel > Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs"?
Does your microphone appear in "PC Settings > System > Sound > Manage sound devices > input devices"?

In device manager it shows my monitor as a output device which is a good thing because the headphones are connected to the monitor and the headphones work fine but then it shows my built in mic as an input device which is good too but it doesnt show the mic for the headphones ... unless it thinks the headphones and the mic are one thing and marks it as output but that wouldnt make sense because i have tried connecting the mic only and when i plugged it in nothing seemed to happen.

unknown.png

In pc sound settings it only shows my built in mic for the laptop but not the mic for the headphones.

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Start at the beginning, what brand and model of the headset, what computer are you connecting it to is it a laptop or desktop, what have you tried already? Using any sort of adapters? Did this work at some point or never worked, a new headset? Did you old one work if this is a new one? Without more details everyone will just be guessing as to what you are doing or what the issue may be.

The headphones are new (HS50 Stereo). I wanted to connect it to my laptop but i needed to plug the mic and the headphones in separately and my laptop only had 1 audio port and my monitor had both audio ports for the mic and the headphones so i plugged it in and the headphones worked like always and the mic didnt even show up in windows like it doesnt exist i tried replugging it several times checked if everything is connected and still nothing so i went to google went to a few forums and i tried reinstalling my audio drivers, restarting the laptop, checking permission for the mic i tried plugging the mic and only the mic in the monitor and the laptop it still didnt show up and last i tried checking if its disabled and then i checked like 5 videos on youtube and they all said to check the permission for the mic, check the volume and make sure its plugged in.

Also im using this to connect it separately.
unknown.png

In device manager it shows my monitor as a output device which is a good thing because the headphones are connected to the monitor and the headphones work fine but then it shows my built in mic as an input device which is good too but it doesnt show the mic for the headphones ... unless it thinks the headphones and the mic are one thing and marks it as output but that wouldnt make sense because i have tried connecting the mic only and when i plugged it in nothing seemed to happen.

unknown.png

In pc sound settings it only shows my built in mic for the laptop but not the mic for the headphones.

You missed a pretty big detail in your original post, you are not connecting to the computer. The monitor has an aux audio out port no headphone in port. Connect the headset to the computer they should work then. If you are using a laptop you should only need to use the single connector to it from the headset, they are both 4 pole connectors or should be, I'm sure if you look at the icon by the headphone jack it will show a headset with a mic. It seems what you were trying just made a simple connection way more convoluted, need to check exactly what the equipment you have can do, you assumed the monitor can work with a microphone without checking it.

IMG_20201102_205341.jpg

im confused are these not for headphones and a mic? (left for mic right for headphones)

No that is not a mic jack, that is a line out jack, you can see the arrow pointing away, which shows it's an output.

This is what a mic jack would look like, as you can see in the second picture what you are looking at is an Output not an Input.

images

hwo56km0bajz.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
i would but the audio port on the laptop is damaged, when i plug it in i i have either no audio or popping sounds unless i hold it in place and that happens with any headphones i use on it.

OK, now you are adding more more details here that should have been in your first post. You need to either use bluetooth headphones or buy an external sound card or get the jack fixed. If you listed the two details you could have had an answer in the first reply instead of taking days to get all of the details.

Anytime you have issues like this, full details are absolutely needed to troubleshoot, we have no idea what you are using, what issues you have with it or what you tried already.

Once you said you were using the monitor connection and that your 3.5mm jack was actually broken the reason things were not working were pretty easy to figure out.

This should be good to get https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyperx...d-black/6302617.p?skuId=6302617&ref=212&loc=1 and will give you some virtual surround sound to play with if you want.

Last edited: