Headset Microphone Detected and Working In Windows But Ignored by Programs.

Cleve Hobson

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Today my microphone just doesn't work through any programs. Looked in my sound settings in Windows and for some reason my microphone had a blank name but otherwise everything was in order.

If I select "listen to this device" through either Windows' Sound tab or through my sound card settings then it plays the microphone's audio perfectly fine, the green bar in Windows moves but when I disable that the bar registers zero noise. Also tried switching between Line-In and back to microphone because my sound card has a combined jack for both with no luck.

Any programs like OBS and Discord can see my microphone and I can set it but no matter what I do they don't actually register any sound. For good measure I keep swapping between my mic and "default" to make sure it updates.
I've tried using it while listening to the mic through Windows. No luck.
I have tried restarting my PC twice. No luck.
Drivers for my sound card haven't had an update since 2016 but I tried reinstalling them anyway and all that accomplished was resetting my audio settings.
Tried using the mic jack on my motherboard and it does the same thing, detects audio if I listen to device but doesn't actually let me use that audio in programs.

I'm on Windows 10, using 3.5mm jack and the headset itself (Sennheiser Game Zero) seems to be working fine. The mic is obviously working (listening to it, it definitely works fine) and the speakers are working fine as well. I am really at a loss here.

Small Edit: I have also tried listening to device and flicking the microphone up and down to make sure it wasn't something weird with the auto muting mic feature when you lift it up. Acts exactly as it should so not this either.

Cleve Hobson

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
This is just ridiculous and I think at this point Microsoft is doing everything they can to insult us.

If you have this issue where it seems like your mic is completely fine and nothing fixes it... go into search for "Privacy" in windows, scroll down to "Microphone" and make sure Microsoft didn't disable "Allow apps to access your microphone"

That simple. Microsoft just turned off a setting that nobody knew existed because this is what the sounds tab is for.

Starting to reeaaalllly envy the people that refused to update to Windows 10.

May 30, 2018

I was positive that it was the update.

After dozens of restarts, installs, troubleshoots I finally stumbled upon this.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.