Headset Microphone Noise

JackHinton

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2016
I just changed from a cheap usb headset and microphone to a new hyperx cloud stinger headset. The old headset seemed to have no background noise what so ever but now with my newer more expensive pair there is alot of static background noise even with boost on the lowest setting. I am using my motherboards onboard audio 3.5mm jacks instead of usb could this be the issue? if so how can i fix it because the amount of sound being created is really bad.

Solution
Sounds like the kind of noise/hiss you get from a sound card that has either a low signal to noise ratio or is getting emi interference. If you're using the front panel 3.5mm jack then that's not terribly surprising. If it's the rear, then you may be getting some interference.

Easiest thing is to just grab a USB sound card/adapter. You can get basic ones for under $10 or go high end up to good USB DACs for considerably more. I'd say pick up a cheap solution like a Sabrent USB adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525903035&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+sound
This will also let you know pretty quick and inexpensively if the noise is your headphones (doubtful) or a sound...
Sounds like the kind of noise/hiss you get from a sound card that has either a low signal to noise ratio or is getting emi interference. If you're using the front panel 3.5mm jack then that's not terribly surprising. If it's the rear, then you may be getting some interference.

Easiest thing is to just grab a USB sound card/adapter. You can get basic ones for under $10 or go high end up to good USB DACs for considerably more. I'd say pick up a cheap solution like a Sabrent USB adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525903035&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+sound
This will also let you know pretty quick and inexpensively if the noise is your headphones (doubtful) or a sound card issue. If the noise goes away, you can look in to a better sound card or USB solution.

Solution