[SOLVED] Healthy HDD is hitting 100% disk usage when opening applications/games

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
Hi there,

I've recently been having some HDD related issues since upgrading my PC processor, ram and motherboard and now whenever I launch programs or sometimes even just open folders in my HDD, my disk usage spikes to 100% for 30+ seconds - and more frustratingly, nothing the task manager indicates that a certain process is causing this -- which has caused a few crashes.

My PC parts are as follows:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB
  • Kingston A400 240GB (just for my OS)
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB (hard disk causing issues)

I've done a clean install of Windows 10, updated all my motherboard drivers and AMD chipset driver, checked my PC temperatures, checked in crystal disk for hard drive health, run benchmark tests, disk de-fragmentation, command line disk health checks and gone through almost every single 100% disk usage resolution I can find, and nothing seems to help

Open to any and all ideas, as this this point I just want to try and resolve it

Solution
A large bulk of it is just game files I can re-download, so it shouldn't be too problematic - do you recommend backing up the important files and reformatting the hard drive? Is there a specific way I should re-format it? Just don't want to stuff anything up further.
If you can back up anything of importance do so if there are things that are expendable then just do away with it. Basically within that Partition screen you would just right click and in the menu choose Format and then just ensure it says NTFS and go from there.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hi there,

I've recently been having some HDD related issues since upgrading my PC processor, ram and motherboard and now whenever I launch programs or sometimes even just open folders in my HDD, my disk usage spikes to 100% for 30+ seconds - and more frustratingly, nothing the task manager indicates that a certain process is causing this -- which has caused a few crashes.

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB
I've done a clean install of Windows 10, updated all my motherboard drivers and AMD chipset driver, checked my PC temperatures, checked in crystal disk for hard drive health, run benchmark tests, disk de-fragmentation, command line disk health checks and gone through almost every single 100% disk usage resolution I can find, and nothing seems to help

Have you checked the partitions? to make sure you have created a full 2tb drive.

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
Have you checked the partitions? to make sure you have created a full 2tb drive.

One annoying thing that seems to be happening is it keeps creating a 'system reserved' partition on the disk (despite it no longer having the operating system installed) - its only 578 mb in size - could this be causing issues?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi there,

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB

100% normal your disc is spinning up to full speed reading the program it's probably done this the whole time you just never noticed it.

Ferimer

Distinguished
I think that System Reserved D is where you are having the problem. you have essentially created 2 Partition Drives on 1 Disk Drive. i think your computer is trying to draw files from that. I am not sure why your E Drive says Page File on it. that could be causing an issue as well. You dohave 1.1Tb used up on that E Disk too. So i reformat may not be an option unless you're able to back up all those files.

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
I think that System Reserved D is where you are having the problem. you have essentially created 2 Partition Drives on 1 Disk Drive. i think your computer is trying to draw files from that. I am not sure why your E Drive says Page File on it. that could be causing an issue as well. You dohave 1.1Tb used up on that E Disk too. So i reformat may not be an option unless you're able to back up all those files.

A large bulk of it is just game files I can re-download, so it shouldn't be too problematic - do you recommend backing up the important files and reformatting the hard drive? Is there a specific way I should re-format it? Just don't want to stuff anything up further.

Ferimer

Distinguished
If you can back up anything of importance do so if there are things that are expendable then just do away with it. Basically within that Partition screen you would just right click and in the menu choose Format and then just ensure it says NTFS and go from there.

Solution

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
Really appreciate all the timely responses, I'll begin the backup process today - fingers crossed!

Sep 3, 2020
I'm facing the same problem....It is occurring after the feature update. Actually my laptop was not responding while installing the update. Eventually I forced turned off my laptop, by the way MY laptop updated successfully but this problem begins.