Heart of the Swarm Sells 1.1 Million Copies in 48 Hours

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]torque79[/nom]Unfortunately for the first time I have to agree somewhat with those saying EA are not the only ones with launch problems, because Diablo 3's launch was the most insanely bad launch ive ever seen. It took days before I could even login, and a good deal of forum research to reduce the amount of game crashing I was experiencing. Even then it was a month or two before it got really steady and reliable.That being said, I've only experienced that with one Blizzard title, and I buy pretty much all of them. I have only purchased a few EA games, and every time those have had huge gameplay bugs that seem impossible to miss, as if it were a beta. Every starcraft and warcraft title I've ever purchased has been rock-solid on release day.[/citation]
Sounds like you had it really bad on D3. I was able to login in on day 2 on my first attempt, and while I don't recall having a lot of login problems I do remember absolutely terrible lag and latency for months following launch. It wasn't at all unusual to see a 1 sec ping at the time, rendering the game practically unplayable.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Done...It was awesome!If you haven't already, buy it, play it, you won't regret it.(And that is just the single player campaign.)Not a huge Zerg fan but still loved this expansion. I think it will win some expansion of the year awards![/citation]
Fantastic game. Really enjoyed the campaign, and I'm liking the new units and features in multiplayer too.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Herr_Koos[/nom]I agree, especially since you already see a portrait of the person speaking.Anyhow, my biggest beef with the game thus far has been performance. I don't know what Blizzard did, but HotS runs like crap compared to the frame rates I got on WoL. i've had to turn my settings down about two notches to get similar performance, and even then big battles that used to run butter-smooth are now lagging.[/citation]
The graphics engine got an update. HOTS is slightly more demanding than WOL, but I haven't noticed a huge performance drop. Are your drivers up to date?

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Buying a game from Blizzard at launch? Thanks, but I'll pass...[/citation]

Worked fine for me. While I will likely never buy another diablo product, HotS is worth every bit of it.

I'm aware of the update, but to be honest it really doesn't look that much different. My drivers are always up to date. Worst thing is, my brother's PC which has less GPU muscle runs it just fine. He has an Intel+Nvidia setup while I use all-AMD. I'm starting to think the game hates AMD hardware.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
[citation][nom]Dupontrocks11[/nom]If the North Koreans ever want to invade, now would be the time! I doubt South Korea would even notice![/citation]
Could this (game release) have been the cause of the "cyber attack" in South Korea last week????

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Herr_Koos[/nom]I'm aware of the update, but to be honest it really doesn't look that much different. My drivers are always up to date. Worst thing is, my brother's PC which has less GPU muscle runs it just fine. He has an Intel+Nvidia setup while I use all-AMD. I'm starting to think the game hates AMD hardware.[/citation]
SC2 has always favored Nvidia performance wise. Not sure about the CPU side for Intel or AMD. Since you were getting playable performance in WOL I'm assuming it's just a matter of a driver update from AMD to fix your problem. I'm guessing it'll probably be coming soon.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
[citation][nom]Dupontrocks11[/nom]If the North Koreans ever want to invade, now would be the time! I doubt South Korea would even notice![/citation]

Yeas, so blizzard can double their profits!!?!?!

[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]SC2 has always favored Nvidia performance wise. Not sure about the CPU side for Intel or AMD. Since you were getting playable performance in WOL I'm assuming it's just a matter of a driver update from AMD to fix your problem. I'm guessing it'll probably be coming soon.[/citation]

IDK about HotS, but WoL is very bad about scaling across more than two threads IIRC. Perhaps the CPU is getting more of a workload, so Herr_Koos's all AMD setup will not work well, at least not without some significant CPU overclocking.

LightningStryk17

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]childofthekorn[/nom]DIII and SC2 launch were bad? Has everyone forgotten about D2? I mean cmon, for those of you that remember: asdfasdfasdfasdf[/citation]

shhh if people remembered what D2 was like than they couldn't blindly bash every game blizzard makes any more.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]tachybana[/nom]I think i'll stay away from this for a while. I specifically purchased a 8600 GTS to play SC2 on medium settings, when it was launched. Enjoyed the entire campaign on the first two difficulties. Two patches later, i can't even play skirmishes, Can't even load some of my saved games. My setting are literally on utra low. The characters look like legos. Blizzard! what the heck happened? Absolutely nothing has changed in my system.[/citation]
Your silly...
Way back in 2007 when that GPU was new, it sucked.

My CPU is not brilliant but it is also not running at 100% while playing. As I said, WoL ran just fine, so I'd be very surprised if the CPU threading of HoTS is somehow worse.

What I wouldn't be surprised about is if the threading is the same and HotS is more CPU intensive for some reason.

It's possible I guess. Either way, many other players have been complaining on the forums about similar issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.