Question Heat sink in my laptop, is it ok? How about temperatures ?

terky

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Laptop model: Lenovo Legion 5PI with an i7 CPU.

I opened the laptop to change thermal paste and clean fans.. because since then the PC I put the fans at 100% when I open Chrome and put videos.

The temperature remains in the 70-80 degrees playing without any problem. Not high load to be fair.

Update 17 03:

After changing thermal paste and put back a layer all over the CPU I played, I go into CHROME and I get these records, do you see them normal ? Are the MAX values worrying?

ViYHnGs.png

18/03

I attach the BEFORE vs AFTER

I applied it with my finger, no pea-size or anything else, I didn't have a spatula either.

BEFORE

nTxGmvZ.jpeg

AFTER

6FmxP4Z.jpeg

Lutfij

Titan
I would've applied a pea size in the center of each die/surface and let the mounting of the heatsink assembly do it's job in spreading the thermal paste across the surface.

What thermal paste did you use? Did you use isopropyl alcohol to remove the factory applied thermal paste?

As for your laptop, you could also try and undervolt the processor's Vcore, cache and iGPU and if you have a discrete GPU, undervolt that as well, using ThrottleStop.

Reactions: terky

terky

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
I would've applied a pea size in the center of each die/surface and let the mounting of the heatsink assembly do it's job in spreading the thermal paste across the surface.

What thermal paste did you use? Did you use isopropyl alcohol to remove the factory applied thermal paste?

As for your laptop, you could also try and undervolt the processor's Vcore, cache and iGPU and if you have a discrete GPU, undervolt that as well, using ThrottleStop.
I did the first time i opened it (1 month ago) and i put a pea size in the center, but sadly my temperatures went so high, and i had to reopen again putting this new way. Attached how it looked with the pea method, it didn't covered the full surface so it could be the problem

7SlRnsq.jpeg

I have checked that Chrome is the responsible of high usage on CPU and therefore increasing temperatures &fan. With Edge i don't have this problems, neither playing League of legends which is around 70 ish º playing in medium settings.