[SOLVED] Heatsink and RAM s

steventung666

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018
Recently I got an aftermarket CPU fan cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Air Cooler

Now the issue I have is that I want to utilize all four RAM slots on my motherboard but the cooler fan blocks one of the RAM slots just slightly.

Am I allowed to shift the fan on the heatsink up just by one centimeter? Just a small shift up would allow me to place my RAM in.

Will this cause temperature issues? I expect it to be minimal but I am not completely sure so could someone let me know.

Second question: I have two different brands of RAM. Both are 2 x 8 sticks (total of 32) which is what I plan to put into the motherboard in the 4 slots. I expect them to work with each other (correct me if I am wrong). Both are DDR4. One is a GSkill and the other just says XPG on top. I use an Intel processor so I think the RAM is maxed to 2666mhz. Both of the RAM I have is 3000mhz or more so I know they would only run at a max of 2666mhz anyways. Would there be any issue with using two different brands of RAM?

Thanks.

Solution
No problem mounting the fan a bit higher.

On ram, there may be an issue.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

What is the make/model of your motherboard and processor?
Depending on the motherboard and processor, you may be able to run at 3000 speed.
But, excepting integrated graphics...

USAFRet

Titan
Am I allowed to shift the fan on the heatsink up just by one centimeter?
Absolutely yes.
I had to do exactly that on my old 212 Plus.

Second question: I have two different brands of RAM. Both are 2 x 8 sticks (total of 32) which is what I plan to put into the motherboard in the 4 slots. I expect them to work with each other (correct me if I am wrong).
That is a 100% maybe.
Mixed RAM is a crapshoot. It is sold in sets for a reason.

It might work, it might not.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Yes you can move the fans where you need it no issues. 212 is a great entry level air cooler and I have used one for years with no issues.

You could have issues with running 2 types/sets of RAM. However most of the time in my experience as long as its decent ram and you dont' overclock you will be good to go.

Is the CL rating the same? I would just try it and it should be ok.

No problem mounting the fan a bit higher.

On ram, there may be an issue.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

What is the make/model of your motherboard and processor?
Depending on the motherboard and processor, you may be able to run at 3000 speed.
But, excepting integrated graphics, intel performance is not very sensitive to ram speed.

Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS