[SOLVED] Heatsink effect on nearby components

seagatedoge

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
Hello everybody. I am choosing a CPU cooler. In my last build my graphics card started to melt on the top despite reasonable reported temperatures. The tentative explanation I have is that the heatsink of the D14 was sitting too close to the top of the GPU. I am wondering if this is a valid explanation. This will help inform my choice on the width of an upcoming CPU cooler.

Solution
Hello everybody. I am choosing a CPU cooler. In my last build my graphics card started to melt on the top despite reasonable reported temperatures. The tentative explanation I have is that the heatsink of the D14 was sitting too close to the top of the GPU. I am wondering if this is a valid explanation. This will help inform my choice on the width of an upcoming CPU cooler.
Not valid at all, that's not how it works in the world of thermal dynamics.

The only way something will melt is intense heat (well over 100'C) which can be caused by a failure in the electronics, heating up and melting something.
Not valid at all, that's not how it works in the world of thermal dynamics.

The only way something will melt is intense heat (well over 100'C) which can be caused by a failure in the electronics, heating up and melting something.

Solution