[SOLVED] Heatsink not fitting onto motherboard

keshk

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Was under the impression a heatsink will come with brackets to be able to fit onto all motherboards.
But it doesn't seem to be the case. My heatsink does not fit on to my motherboard in anyway.

My motherboard is MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX Motherboard
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VB2BG3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My heatsink is ARCTIC Freezer 12
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WRPFFJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 queries.

1. What do I need to purchase to be able to install this heatsink on my motherboard?
  2. This motherboard seem to only have a standard 4 holes. Nothing extra to accommodate different sizes.
Does that mean I should stick to using the back brackets (it is a rectangle shaped back plate) and only purchase additional brackets to be able to fit from the top to match those 4 holes?

Please advice. Got a bit itchy and already build the system using the stock cooler for now. Guess gonna be a nightmare to make this heatsink swap but wanna do it asap.

Solution
The freezer 34 and freezer 12 use the same mounting system. If you watch the video, you'll see exactly what you need, and it doesn't involve any extra bracket as you reuse the stock amd bracket.

Use painters tape on the bracket at the rear to hold it in place temporarily. On top side, remove the 4 screws fron the plastic retainers, then insert the AM4 standoffs, screwing them down to the old backplate. Thumbscrew the cooler to the standoffs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That cooler comes with an AM4 bracket, so it will fit.

Same mounting system.

As to which is better, that'll depend entirely on the cpu in question, as there's several sizes of Wraith coolers. The Arctic will be slightly better than the Stealth cooler, but considerably worse than the Prism. The Wraiths are a downdraft type cooler, so put a lot of airflow across the VRM's, which many towers, like the Arctic 12, really don't as much, which can affect stability and performance, so in that aspect alone then they are much worse than stock.

keshk

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
That cooler comes with an AM4 bracket, so it will fit.

Same mounting system.

As to which is better, that'll depend entirely on the cpu in question, as there's several sizes of Wraith coolers. The Arctic will be slightly better than the Stealth cooler, but considerably worse than the Prism. The Wraiths are a downdraft type cooler, so put a lot of airflow across the VRM's, which many towers, like the Arctic 12, really don't as much, which can affect stability and performance, so in that aspect alone then they are much worse than stock.

My CPU is Ryzen 5 3600. My heatsink is a Arctic Freezer 12. The video is for an Arctic Freezer 34. Looks like the screws and brackets I hav a are different. Attached an image for reference.

That black squarish bracket is supposed to go to the back of the mother board I believe and that definitely does not fit the 4 holes. After trying to fit those 2 long dilver brackets to the heat sink it simple doesn't line up / reach all 4 holes in and direction.

gzQCfGg.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The freezer 34 and freezer 12 use the same mounting system. If you watch the video, you'll see exactly what you need, and it doesn't involve any extra bracket as you reuse the stock amd bracket.

Use painters tape on the bracket at the rear to hold it in place temporarily. On top side, remove the 4 screws fron the plastic retainers, then insert the AM4 standoffs, screwing them down to the old backplate. Thumbscrew the cooler to the standoffs.

Solution

keshk

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

Sorry, rewatched the video and think am being really silly here. I understand what you are saying about the back plate but I don't see any standoffs in my package. The image I posted above is everything I've got. Do you spot standoffs there?

Plus I am using Ryzen 5 3600. Is this still worth doing when compared with that CPU's stock cooler?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For me, there's not enough of a difference to warrant spending the money. A larger and more capable cooler that's still very cheap, like the Deepcool Gammax 400, or the Arctic esports duo, then sure, go for it, you'll see max load drops of @ 20°C ish and can gain performance since the temps will be low enough to allow higher clocks from PBO. But for that 92mm cooler, only 10w or so better than the stock Stealth, not really. I mean it won't hurt, but basically not do much more than change the look of your pc and a few db quieter.