Question Heavy stuttering in-game

May 19, 2024
Hi,

Lately, I've been experiencing severe stuttering in games, and it's especially noticeable in GTA V, in the menus as well. As you can see in the video, it seems like there are sudden drops in performance. I've tried checking the latency monitor, but I don't get any clear indications there.

However, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to troubleshoot this further, so I would greatly appreciate any help!

The only recent change I've made is updating the graphics drivers, but they should ideally be updated to the latest version, right?

Specs:
  • CPU: i7 14700K
  • Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 2x 16 GB
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3090 GAMING X TRIO
Link to video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VjRH5k-8qEh-bz8MUpQY-D0BkMY8ACck/view?usp=drive_link

May 19, 2024
I tried running the game with the CPU fan on max. Still a lot of stuttering.

CPU temp: Max 64 °C

Not sure how to check the frequency of the CPU properly. Here are the clock frequencies I can see in HWMon:

All P-Cores from 0 to 7 are on 5500 MHz except core #5 which is 5600 MHz.
P-cores from 8 to 19 are 4300 MHz.

GPU temp: Max 65 °C
GPU mem: Max 76 °C
Hot spot: 79,7 °C

Such a powerfull setup to play a 2013 game... Who am I to judge, I play Elite Dangerous (2014)...

Anyways, if you are sure the issues started when you updated the GPU drivers, then you should use DDU (there are lots of guides out there on how to) and install the old drivers back to check if its fixed then.

May 19, 2024
Well, I'm not only playing GTA V, just a fun game to revisit!
  • PSU: RM850 90 Plus Gold
I'm using a Display port cable.

Doesn't seem like going back to an earler GPU driver did any difference