HEEEEELP 1st PC build!!!

BQ2283

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
Here is my issue. I have been crawling all over this forum and other websites trying to learn what I can about building my own PC. It will be my first one and I was hoping for some advice. So far, I have upgraded the PSU to 600w and my GPU to a Nvida GTX 950. I would like to allocate around $200 to my processor and motherboard. The general use of this computer will be moderate gaming, and entertainment in my living room. My questions are as follows:

1. Given my limited budget I am leaning towards and AMD processor. Are the differences between Intel and AMD that big? I know they are when it comes to price. I have my eye on the FX-6300 or FX-8350. Any advice on processors in this price range would be greatly appreciated.

2. I know I need a new motherboard as the one I currently have is one that came with the PC when I bought it a few years back and it does not allow overclocking of my processor (there is no option like AI tweaker). I will try to OC just to learn about it. I would like to stick with AMD due the fact that I currently have an AMD processor. I believe the current mobo I have is an ASUS micro ATX. What is a decent one, and what should I avoid? ATX vs micro ATX?

3. I currently have a Phenom ii x6 1065t that I would like to mess around with to overclock. This is part of the reason I would like to stick with AMD processors and motherboards. Is it worth trying to maximize the potential of this processor? My thought is to start with a new mobo and learn on this processor, then replace once I either screw it up or its no longer capable of handling what I ask.

I would like to thank anyone ahead of time for reading and responding. Please remember to take it easy on me as I am new to this would of PC building and really have no idea what I am doing.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
1. AMD is not REALLY cheaper than Intel. Lets get that out of the way.

2. There is not a huge difference in motherboard/case sizes. Some people swear by ATX, but I prefer microATX, and will probably go microITX with my next build or two.

3. I would keep the Phenom x6 1065t for now as nothing AMD has to offer right now would be a significant improvement.

BQ2283

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
Thanks for your answer. Are there any motherboard you would suggest at this time for the Phenom ii x6?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Ok it's tricky because I would not buy a new motherboard for the Phenom, but you're not going to come up with ANY cpu motherboard combo that would be a significant upgrade for under $200. Can you increase your budget by about $25 or so?

BQ2283

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
I am open to options. I figured around $200 would get me something decent. A guy I was talking too said he had a $50 MSI motherboard that worked great. I was hoping it would be that easy for the phenom replacement board.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
This is probably the cheapest combo that would make a real impact.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $230.87

This is a great motherboard if you want to get to put your Phenom on.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($85.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $85.89

This would be a marginal upgrade for less than $200. I don't recommend this though. The FX6300 is not that much of an upgrade for you.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($85.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $184.78

And this would be a lot better in some things, and not better in others

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.78 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $170.76

BQ2283

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
Thanks for the info. So would the FX 8350 not be a good processor for what im looking for? How would it compare to the suggested Intel?

BQ2283

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
One last question... when comparing motherboards.. what exactly are you looking at? like just a quick glance, what would I want to know? I really appreacite your help.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
One last question... when comparing motherboards.. what exactly are you looking at? like just a quick glance, what would I want to know? I really appreacite your help.

I only look at Z motherboards in situations where I need overclocking and/or the ability to run two video cards.

99% of the time, I choose locked i5s so I know the H67, H77, H87, H97, and H170 boards are perfect for me.

The B series offer a good balance between budget and features.

I don't like Intel's bottom budget boards like the H81 or H110.

With AMD, if it's fm2+ socket, the A88X is the only one I would get, and if it's AM3+, That specific Gigabyte above is the cheapest GOOD option.

Other than that, just look for sales. There is usually no reason to pay extra for one H97 over another since every H97 is going to be good.

TRENDING THREADS