Hellgate MMOFPS Open Beta is Now Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

king421

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I thought they changed it from free-to-play to a "free trial" two days ago. You have to spend like $4 to play all the content from what I have gathered.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Hell Gate London is one of the more modern examples of why games should not be over-hyped. Hype is good for sales but when its over done people end up expecting something the game could never live up to. Everyone walks away in disappointment and in this case financial ruin for the original devs. Not only did the game not live up to the hype but it was extremely bug ridden. All my friends fell into the hype and went out and purchased this game and I didn't, next thing I know every single one of them was whining to me about it. Sadly I doubt neither the industry nor the gamers have learned their lesson yet.

[citation][nom]englandr753[/nom]I'm anticipating the new Oblivion release on 11/11/11 instead. =D[/citation]

I think you mean the next Elders Scrolls, Oblivion was simply the name of the forth in the series. If you haven't already try Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind if by any chance your a rather young gamer and the graphics put you off there are mods to make it look much better. It's a fantastic game.

psychshaman

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
[citation][nom]king421[/nom]I thought they changed it from free-to-play to a "free trial" two days ago. You have to spend like $4 to play all the content from what I have gathered.[/citation]

Yah, this was a terrible idea. You can only get past lvl 20 content if you get the ticket. The ticket is across your whole account, and you can either pay the $4 or spend like 250k in game gold. So if you really like the game, and you don't want to spend the $4, you can still trade with people for it.

They should have just charged $5 to play the game, or increased the price of the other cash shop items.

[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I think you mean the next Elders Scrolls, Oblivion was simply the name of the forth in the series. If you haven't already try Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind if by any chance your a rather young gamer and the graphics put you off there are mods to make it look much better. It's a fantastic game.[/citation]

Correct. I was in a hurry posting and had been working in my media center room 12 hours prior to sitting down for a minute relaxing browsing THG. Thanks for the correction...

I gave it another go but starting over completely and the dated graphics couldn't get my sauces flowing. I'm gonna hop over to the conan one and see what's up cuz i never tried it before. still just waiting for sw:tor.

SoylentGreen

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I still have my "Hellgate: London" collectors edition box. I keep it displayed on my bookcase as a reminder to myself not to buy games based solely on hype.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Ya its to bad they had to rush that buggy pos out the door for the first launch.Calling it a mmo is a stretch too,about as much of a mmo as Guildwars is.A pile of people in a town isn't a mmo in my eyes.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]englandr753[/nom]That would kill the mood to go back. I don't have time to play this game atm anyway.I'm anticipating the new Oblivion release on 11/11/11 instead. =D[/citation]
Not to continue the off topic, but I am really, really looking forward to Skyrim. More than any other game in the past few years (except maybe Starcraft 2).

I'm hopeful for skyrim. I mean you got sw:tor, bf3, and skyrim to look forward to in the coming months. That's probably about it for most people. I'm affraid though that skyrim may feel too much like morrowind / oblivion. If the gameplay's relatively the same, which I assume it has to be given its cross-platform nature, then playing through it may just be a labor of love rather than pure awesomeness.

Hellgate should of been updated to dx 11 or atleast added a high-res texture pack or something.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Hell Gate London is one of the more modern examples of why games should not be over-hyped. Hype is good for sales but when its over done people end up expecting something the game could never live up to. Everyone walks away in disappointment and in this case financial ruin for the original devs. Not only did the game not live up to the hype but it was extremely bug ridden. All my friends fell into the hype and went out and purchased this game and I didn't, next thing I know every single one of them was whining to me about it. Sadly I doubt neither the industry nor the gamers have learned their lesson yet.I think you mean the next Elders Scrolls, Oblivion was simply the name of the forth in the series. If you haven't already try Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind if by any chance your a rather young gamer and the graphics put you off there are mods to make it look much better. It's a fantastic game.[/citation]

The problem is, while Ive played far worst games graphically and have enjoyed them alot I can never seem to get into morrowind, I am not fond of the UI, it isn't the graphics, it is the interface and certain elements. Maybe I should try it again with an interface mod. Maybe then ill enjoy it.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Hell Gate London is one of the more modern examples of why games should not be over-hyped. Hype is good for sales but when its over done people end up expecting something the game could never live up to. Everyone walks away in disappointment and in this case financial ruin for the original devs. Not only did the game not live up to the hype but it was extremely bug ridden. All my friends fell into the hype and went out and purchased this game and I didn't, next thing I know every single one of them was whining to me about it. Sadly I doubt neither the industry nor the gamers have learned their lesson yet.I think you mean the next Elders Scrolls, Oblivion was simply the name of the forth in the series. If you haven't already try Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind if by any chance your a rather young gamer and the graphics put you off there are mods to make it look much better. It's a fantastic game.[/citation]

The problem is, while Ive played far worst games graphically and have enjoyed them alot I can never seem to get into morrowind, I am not fond of the UI, it isn't the graphics, it is the interface and certain elements. Maybe I should try it again with an interface mod. Maybe then ill enjoy it.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
i had an original hellgate character leveld up pretty high, u think it will work with the new version? any possibility of migrating profile data

Status
Not open for further replies.