[SOLVED] Hello could I ask for some upgrade advice please?

LadyHyena

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
Hello I built my first computer a few years ago with great advice from people here and I was wondering if I could get some advice on upgrading. My computer is starting to have real trouble loading the big simulation games I like to play especially after I add a ton of stuff and custom content, like Satisfactory and Sims 4. I have some money right now so I'm wondering if I could add or replace a part or two to improve performance. Here's a list of my current parts and my task manager with Satisfactory running. Thankyou for any advice you can give me.
Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Palit GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Super JetStream Video Card
Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Team Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Aerocool QS-240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
ADATA Ultimate SU650 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vaBspVGqHhNkZRGe6

Solution
One thing that would help is to run an m.2 ssd for some of your games. Depends on how much money you have as well. If you have the money for a 1tb ssd (m.2 or SATA) i think that'll help with the load times. It could also help upgrading the graphics card but I'm not completely sure because your graphics card isn't at full use. Nor is your processor. So I think it would be reasonable to get an SSD (either 500gb or 1tb [1tb would be better for more storage])

Ralston18

Titan
The ADATA 240 GB SSD being the boot drive - correct?

How full is that drive and how full is the 1TB Seagate drive?

= = = =

My first thought is to change/increase RAM to a total of 16 GB via a 2 x 8GB kit for dual channel use.

However, it will be helpful if you provide more information about the problems ("real trouble" ) that you are experiencing.

What simulation games are you playing, what have you added (aka "add a ton of stuff and custom content") ? Details matter.

Most games and apps provide some listing of required hardware specs. Usually in the form of minimal, recommended, and best.

You do not want minimal and you do want as much "best" as you can afford. Check the game and app requirements as a means to decide future hardware changes and upgrades.

= = = =

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe current system performance. Use both but only one at time.

Determine what resources are being used. To what extent (%) any given resource is being used. And lastly what app, game, process, etc. is using any given resource.

= = = =

There may be other thoughts and ideas posted.

In the meantime be sure to back up all important data. At least 2 times and those backups are not being stored on the current system. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

LadyHyena

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
Hello, thankyou for replying.
I believe my computer is using the seagate as it says the C:drive is 930gb large and is 434gb full.

The issues I'm having are lag and slow loading times both going into a save and going into new areas ex:
Satisfactory runs fine until I add a lot of machines and miles of conveyer belts then it starts to lag exploring new areas and takes a long time to load the game.
7 Days to die again at first fine but then I build complicated bases, have turrets and lots of electric wires running. Hord night becomes very laggy and I have to wait it out.
Sims 4 imagine a woman at a mall and everything is free, thats what my mods folder looks like. All the custom content I get has slowed loading time to a grind. My fault I know.

When running Satisfactory I took a look at task manager CPU: 38.4% Memory: 439.9mb Disc 0.1mb GPU: 84%

Take care and stay safe.

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
One thing that would help is to run an m.2 ssd for some of your games. Depends on how much money you have as well. If you have the money for a 1tb ssd (m.2 or SATA) i think that'll help with the load times. It could also help upgrading the graphics card but I'm not completely sure because your graphics card isn't at full use. Nor is your processor. So I think it would be reasonable to get an SSD (either 500gb or 1tb [1tb would be better for more storage])

Solution

TRENDING THREADS