Hello guys i need help with my build

mollovmartin

Commendable
Aug 19, 2018
My motherboard is z170-p and i have ordered a liquid cooler corsair h45 and i wonder where to connect the 3 pin pump connector, and i cant see a 3pin slot on the front of the motherboard. Is there anyway to make it work or no, if there is a way please help me

Solution
Corsair directions state that the pump goes into the 4pin (yes it fits) cpu_fan header. The fan goes to any other sys-fan header. There's a reason for that. 3 pin fans are analog, controlled by voltage. 4pin fans are most usually pwm, a constant 12v that gets turned on/off at variable rates. The cpu_fan header is permanently pwm, so any connector used is set automatically at a constant 12v. The pump should always have a 12v source. Also the motherboard has a security device that will warn you in the event the cpu_fan reads 0rpm, so if the pump fails, the pc will shut down.

That precludes most ways of controlling the fan speeds. If adept at bios/fan curves, you can reverse this and put the pump to a fan header, use bios to lock the pump...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair directions state that the pump goes into the 4pin (yes it fits) cpu_fan header. The fan goes to any other sys-fan header. There's a reason for that. 3 pin fans are analog, controlled by voltage. 4pin fans are most usually pwm, a constant 12v that gets turned on/off at variable rates. The cpu_fan header is permanently pwm, so any connector used is set automatically at a constant 12v. The pump should always have a 12v source. Also the motherboard has a security device that will warn you in the event the cpu_fan reads 0rpm, so if the pump fails, the pc will shut down.

That precludes most ways of controlling the fan speeds. If adept at bios/fan curves, you can reverse this and put the pump to a fan header, use bios to lock the pump at 12v and just use the cpu_fan header to control the fan speeds, if you have a 4pin fan.

Solution