[SOLVED] Help 1070ti blower

Jan 14, 2019
The story: Two weeks ago I got a new PNY 1070ti blower (it's mark 1 as I understand) to later build up a new PC. The card is equipped with Micron memory. Meanwhile I decided to use it in my old one, the setup is: Core I7 2600, Asus p8h61-m pro, 8GB 1333mhz RAM, 700GB HDD, Everest 88Plus 700 (700w, silver). Latest BIOS, clean install of nvidia drivers etc.
HDMI connection to my TV (Full HD, 60mhz).

The problem: I ran into very strange glitches in specific gaming and other scenarios, played several games, results were very strange, for example:
- PREY (2017) - first day got some 1ms black screens in inventory, black-grey checkers in the corner of the screen. Some transparent black textures (dark glass, ammo counter on the gun) disappeared at a certain angle (only on 1 map tho). Later, all these glitches disappeared.
- Wolfenstein II (2017) - not a hint on glitches or whatsoever
- DOOM (2016) - also 100% fine
- Kingdome Come: Deliverance - overall low FPS (probably not the card), no glitches
- Battlefront II (2017) - a 1sec black to white fullscreen gradient after loading screen, some black screens on a certain map (link to Youtube below). Notice, that the interface stays in place.
A couple of times the PC would reboot with error log stateing "Kernel-Power" - error 41. After watching a few tutorials on this Kernel problem, seems I've fixed it tho.
- When opening an app, or a website there can be a 2ms-1sec black screen, e.g. before loading Furmark, or when loading a level in a game or a window in Steam. Funny thing, that the whole interface stays there, but the content area is black. Sometimes content would render in pats: part of the text is rendered, part shows up 2ms later.

In 2D there are totally no artifacts or glitches, except the blackscreens and this partial rendering sometimes.

The testing: I've been through many runs of furmark, tho not for too long - no artifacts, or glitches. I've done some weird artifact test (some grey and white objects flying around) and also got nothing.

The Googling: I found out that there was some Micron memory issue (which is on my card), that got solved by a new VBios, that was developed by most vendors (not PNY ofc). I found a couple of VGA Bios for PNY 1070ti on techpowerup, but they are for a 2-fan card and they are customs.

The techsup: In my country there are no PNY authorized service centers, so they didn't even try to solve my problem and ask me for any tests, or suggest a new BIOS, they just told me to send it to France and pay for the shipping and the return shipping if they find no problems with the card. The reseller suggested I send the card to him, but it's even more unlikely they will find these glitches, due to their situational and very specific origin. And again I pay for shipping, testing etc.

The quest: I would be very happy if someone suggested a software solution for this problem, give an opinion on other possible sources of this problem (e.g. old RAM, bad power supply etc.) or suggest a series of tests to specify the problem

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYuxwcl3CPE"][/video]

Solution
Kernel Power is usually just another way to say "Unexpected Restart" What GPU did you have before? Does the new one use a lot more power?

So, this power supply "88 Plus" 80+ is a certification program, there is no such thing as 88Plus, so that means that at a minimum they didn't bother to pay the fees to get certified. Not usually a good sign. Also a multi-rail design. So really 4 216W 12V rails, hopefully each with its own over current protection.

Now a GTX1070Ti is rated at 180W TDP, but that doesn't mean it can't exceed that for brief bursts. So being powered by a single rail would be bad, much worse if it was sharing with anything.

I would replace the power supply with a more modern single rail design. Takes all the guesswork...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Kernel Power is usually just another way to say "Unexpected Restart" What GPU did you have before? Does the new one use a lot more power?

So, this power supply "88 Plus" 80+ is a certification program, there is no such thing as 88Plus, so that means that at a minimum they didn't bother to pay the fees to get certified. Not usually a good sign. Also a multi-rail design. So really 4 216W 12V rails, hopefully each with its own over current protection.

Now a GTX1070Ti is rated at 180W TDP, but that doesn't mean it can't exceed that for brief bursts. So being powered by a single rail would be bad, much worse if it was sharing with anything.

I would replace the power supply with a more modern single rail design. Takes all the guesswork out. However, if you sit down, it could just be a matter of re-wiring the computer so that the CPU/Motherbiad is on its own, Drives and peripherals are on their own, and the GPU is getting power from the two remaining rails.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hi there, thaks for your reply!
My PC really is quite old, my previous card was gtx570 (ancient stuff), however both gtx 570 and gtx 1070ti seem to be good to go on a 550w PSU.
My Everest 88Plus 700 is certified as Silver level. My pld card was 6+6pin (2 fans), my 1070 ti is a blower, so it only has an 8pin. The PSU has dedicated sockets for 8pin-8pin connection as well as some kind of nondetachable cords wit a variety of connectors. I've tried both connecting the card via 8pin-8pin dedicated socet and this kind of preinstalled 8pin - same thing.
I have read about some Micron memory issues, that the memory has a diggerent frequency or voltage... Vendors like Asus, Gygabyte and some others have come up with a Micron dedicated VGA Bios, tho PNY did not, so I thought this could be the problem... Don't know what to think...

My PSU https://static.nix.ru/images/FSP-88PLUS-700W-1217692241...

I'll grant that boxes I found images for claim 80 Plus Silver. Still old school design with multiple rails. They also have have PATA connectors, which isn't something I have ever seen on a power supply. Usually just custom at the power supply end and standard at the other, which I suppose is true here. But again, pointing to an older design. I found an abyssmal review from 2008...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=120

GTX570 technically used a little more power, But it did use TWO of your PCIe 6+2 pin connectors. Likely two rails.

Your new card with only an 8-pin is using one 6+2 pin connector, so ONE rail. Ideally what you could do is try an adapter that will get you from dual 6-pin to a single 8-pin connector.

Either way, if that power supply is nearly ten years old, you should be replacing it anyway.