[Help] 4K Monitor display and performance issue

ankido

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Hello,

I recently upgraded my Samsung LCD TV to a Samsung 4k Monitor. I'm having issues with visuals like texts and performance.

Windows 8
Intel Core I7-4770K CPU 3.5Ghz overclocked to 3.8Ghz
GeForce GTX 780 3GB Memory
12GB System memory
Current resolution 3840x2160(Native)
Connection (DisplayPort)
Samsung UHD 28' Monitor
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LU28D590DS/ZA

The issue I'm having before I had the 4K monitor was having everything being very big. I usually work with Photoshop and Premiere and I didn't have the space to be comfortable. I also do a lot of gaming like World of Warcraft. I recently as of yesterday upgraded to a 4k monitor and the native resolution is very small. Also, I tested world of Warcraft and it wasn't smooth. It seems as though my computer has become very slow as if I need upgrades. All this from replacing my tv to a monitor.

My questions are, Can I use a smaller resolution like 2560x1440 and still have sharp clear text and graphics? I just don't understand why 3840x2160 is the only option if this is a 4k monitor capable of handling anything. I can I use this monitor so that everything is not so super small. I'm amazed at how anyone can use a monitor at these type of settings. Impossible for the human eye to focus at this resolution. I just want to use the clarity and sharpness of the monitor at a decent resolution for my eyes rather than changing the zooms all the time and dealing with all the headaches. I'm beginning to think TV's are better suited for computers than monitors are.

Thank you for the help. I would really like to know if I need to return this monitor today and stay with my tv.

Solution
Have you tried the windows 8 scaling feature. Rightclick desktop > resolution > make text larger or w/e and then adjust the "size of all items". Then I believe you need to restart, I've only had to do this in the past and it helped some.

As for gaming performance... yea 4k needs the top GPUs in SLI to get appropriate FPS in games.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Have you tried the windows 8 scaling feature. Rightclick desktop > resolution > make text larger or w/e and then adjust the "size of all items". Then I believe you need to restart, I've only had to do this in the past and it helped some.

As for gaming performance... yea 4k needs the top GPUs in SLI to get appropriate FPS in games.

Solution
This is an instance where I'm with Linus in saying "4k is dead to me" and least at this time..... scaling issues are rampant and the resolution is a helluva load for any single GPU card

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-secret-problem-with-4k-display-scaling/

bf4_3840_2160.gif

My problem in addressing the differences is that ya didn't name the TV resolution so I have no means to compare.

Personally, I wouldn't select a TV or a 4k monitor at this time.... the ideal gaming monitor is the 2560 x 1440 Asus Swift but at $800, it's quite a bite..... as for TVs being better than monitor's, I'd choose a $150 monitor over a $500 TV. If ya want sharpness at a good budget I'd look at 1 - 3 of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

-Lone-

Admirable
I had to change to DPI to 175% on my TV until it looked "normal" like a monitor. So I'd do that, except for maybe get it to 125-150% for you. My TV is 58 inches, so 30 inches bigger than this monitor, so 175% is necessary for me, but probably not for you. As for the lag, I tried that exact GPU and monitor before, I was doing okay, but my main problem was heat, not so much on performance. So unless you're going to do a pretty big upgrade to handle 4k, I'd stick with 1080p 144Hz or 1440p monitors, or go with a TV if you want to if you don't care much about super fast response time.

ankido

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Thank you that worked just fine. I had Dell monitors from 2006. I didn't know much about monitors and tv's and purchased a tv as a monitor. Don't get me wrong the 1080 was large but the picture quality was amazing. That TV now ended up in my bedroom which was 35 and now I'm using this 4k monitor that's 28". It looks good but I'm not use to monitors. I need to my eyes to adjust. The only problem I have is the color quality. I'm a gamer at heart and I just got done playing world of warcraft in a 25 man raid. FPS should go down. The strange thing is, my computer held up and everything was perfect.

I understand 4k is way ahead of it's technology and not a lot of things are ready for it. Love my 4k Curved from samsung. Do you know any good settings for this monitor I can use for color, gamma and brightness? Good to be back to monitors, feels great. Thank you all for your help, you guys rock. :)

ankido

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
It's a great monitor but unfortunately I must return it tomorrow. It keeps crashing my world of warcraft client. I don't believe some games are compatible with the monitor.