Help 8gigs of ram usable 3.48

BaINdIt

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hello, I've just built this computer Installed 1 "STICK" 8gigs of Corsair Vengeance RAM 1600mhz and my Motherboard is only reading 3.5
Motherboard ASRock z77 Pro4

I've reset it, My Bios does say 8gigs are seen and i also went into msconfig and Unchecked Memory or w/e i haz bad menory maybe i need an upgrade as well haha if anyone could guide me in the right direction this is my first build im pretty excited. But I want this PC to run the best it can. who wouldn't anyway. lol

Thx

BaINdIt

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

Yes 33 sorry didnt post that.
Also read that a low gig graphics card can have this affect cause it saves memory for the videos/gaming??
Mines a Gefore 210 1gig

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
a 32bit OS will only allow you to allocate up to 4gb of memory. Some of the resources are already taken up for controlling things like video ram, Input/Output, IRQ's and other nessesary items to get your system running.

With 8GB of ram install a freeware RamDisk software and create a 4GB partition to which you can move your paging file to. This will indirectly boost your load times after you re launch programs but wipes every time you reboot. Some allow you to write the info to disk and relaunches with that information in RAM after rebooting as well. That's the best way to use it with a 32 Bit OS.

Otherwise you need to go to a 64bit OS which will use up to 6gb from my experiences.

BaINdIt

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

So max i can use is 4 if i dont upgrade to 64bit.. im confused then why have more than 4? and if 64bit only allows up to 6 the why do people put 8-16+ in ram.. do they perform under loads like rendering/Gaming?

Again im new to this all as i've dont good so far. haha

thx

BaINdIt

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

BaINdIt

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

Ok sorry but now im confused i have Win7 home premium and if it can read up to 16g why isnt it reading my full 4?? omg ima noob here.. and you guys/gals prob wanna kill me haha O_O..

BaINdIt

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

So if i had 64 bit then.. i could use 6 out of 8 of my ram.. hmm.. then what happens to the rest of the 2 gigs nothing!?!
I'm just confused on there on where the rest goes and why people have more than 8 then?

Windows 7 comes in both 32 and 64 bit

32 bit is limited to ~4gb (in that pool you also have video ram, system ram, cache etc so its more like ~3gb)

64 bit on the other hand has support for a massive amount of ram (NOT DOUBLE) - 7 home premium is limited to 16gb, pro and ultimate is limited to 192gb

you CAN download a 64-bit Windows disk/image (even from one of those illegal file sharing websites as long as its not modified etc) and use your existing genuine product key to get 64-bit but you WILL have to do a fresh install

32-bit is DEAD

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Since no one else could be bothered to explain things in a simple manner for you, here it is:

If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, max memory that will be recognized will be 4GB, regardless of how much you can fit in your motherboard.

If you have a 64-bit version of Windows Home Premium, you can use up to 16GB. If you have Professional/Ultimate, you can use up to 192GB.

Disregard all these other posts as they really did nothing to help answer your question, and just led to further confusion.

-Edit-
Except for the post just above mine, ninja'd :\