Help a Networking Noob Out? Can a Router be used *This* Way?

GunXpatriot

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
So I've got my router downstairs... And I've got a bunch of computers, and bitcoin miners. But I'm running into several problems. One is... I've been just connecting the miners to a computer each, and bridging the connections, and setting up the miner, and just leaving them that way. Fine...

I've got a new shipment in, and now I don't have enough computers to run all these miners... So I had to come up with a new solution. First possible solution. And this is not the topic of the thread, because I don't think it works like this... I have one specific netbook that I plug a miner into. Now I'll have 3 miners upstairs, and I was going to use this netbook as the "controller" so to speak... Could I plug in 2 of these, and basically bridge 3 connections and have each miner work properly. Because my setup now is, I'd have one miner plugged in, and I'd bridge the wireless adapter in the laptop, and the ethernet adapter/port and it would work... If I plug two of these in, for two more miners, would I be able to use them properly? I don't think so, because I wouldn't think the data would be routed properly between the miners... These are what I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F41TWAO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A1QTGXAMH2TVVP

Solution 2... Probably more likely to work, but who knows... Buy a second router, just for upstairs and these three specific miners. A lot cheaper, and probably a lot simpler to get running, if those other things would work at ALL.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-Wireless-Router-300Mbps/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443060087&sr=1-1&keywords=tp+link

Is it possible... That I could use this router, to basically plug these three upstairs miners into, and then relay it to my main router, and have them all work? As far as being a range extender, I've heard this cuts bandwidth in half, but miners don't use a terrible amount of bandwidth anyway. Would this work? My only problem is... If this other router is relaying to the first router, would the second router only be one address on the network? If so, is it even possible to have three devices using the second router? How would they all get a proper local IP? Or would that simply work itself out somehow, and re-rout to my main router regardless?

Hopefully I've articulated what I need to do here... Time is of the essence, as you know if you're in the cryptocurrency world... Help a noob out? :)

TRENDING THREADS