(HELP) AIO pump coming up with N/A in bios?!?!

larkial

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
Ok so im freaking out. This is my first build, and when i finished it i turned it on and in bios everything was woeking but the AIO pump which had N/A? I have the pump tach connected to the CPU_Fan header, the sata cable plugged in and the fans plugged in and the usb plugged in.
Where did i go wrong?

Thanks in advance

Im using the
-kraken x62 AIO cooler
-strix z270e motherboard

Solution
OP, the overheating you describe in not likely caused by mis-connecting, although possible. It certainly could happen if the pump unit fails, but you think that is not the problem. The thermal paste CAN be a problem in any of three ways:
(a) it may be a poor product, and a replacement with a better paste might help, as suggested above.
(b) application of the paste is important - you must do it as instructed. Too much is just as bad as too little. If the paste is pre-applied to the pump bottom face, usually it has a plastic film over it for protection, and that MUST be removed before installing.
(c) if the fastening of the pump unit over the CPU is not done right so the contact is firm and even, that also reduces heat removal. Check that...

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I have the x52, does the same thing with my gigabtye x370 board. DC or PWN or normal mode makes no difference. I just use the cam software to control pump speed. The software is really bad I find, especially for controlling fan speed

My AIO fans are connected directly to a fan header on the board and is controlled through BIOS control.

Funny thing is with my previous corsair AIO on the same board i could control pump speed directly off the board. I would be useful to know if there is a solution for this.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You need to understand what is doing which functions in these systems. For starters, note that the "Speed" of whatever, is the speed of the device plugged into that fan header. The BIOS has no magic way of knowing which thingie in your system is a radiator fan or a cooler pump. If can only know what is the speed of whatever it is you plugged into the CPU_FAN header, and it will always tell you that this "whatever" is the CPU fan, whether it is or not.

Both the Kraken X62 and the SOME of the Corsair AIO systems have a similar structure and functions. In each, there is a pump module that is mounted on the CPU, and has four connection cables attached to it. One is a common female fan cable (often 3-pin) that you are directed to plug into the CPU_FAN header. Its main function is to send back to that header a speed signal, and that it important! Many mobos monitor the speed of whatever is plugged into the CPU_FAN header carefully, and will send out alarms and often take drastic action if there is no speed signal there. This is a precautionary measure to ensure that the CPU chip cannot overheat if its cooling system fails. For these AIO systems, the actual device whose speed is being sent to the CPU_FAN header is the PUMP unit. So, THAT is where you can "see" the pump speed, even though the BIOS Setup screens will tell you it is the CPU Fan speed.

Secondly, there is a cable that plugs into a SATA power output connector from the PSU, and this provides the power for all the AIO system's units. Thirdly, there is a cable with male (with pins) connectors for the fans mounted on the radiator. And finally, there is a cable to be connected between a socket on the pump and a mobo USB2 header for communication purposes.

The last component of these systems is software from the maker. Corsair's is called Corsair LINK; NZXT's is called CAM. In each case you are supposed to download this software and install it on your machine to run the AIO system. It completely takes over the control of your CPU cooling system, using the USB2 cable to communicate with the pump unit. This software does the control of the fan speeds on the radiator, and may do some control of the pump speed also. Since the fans on the radiator are NOT connected to the mobo anywhere, there is NO place in BIOS Setup to observe the radiator fan speeds. That information is shown, correctly identified, in the software utility. In that same place you will find the PUMP speed shown and labelled properly. Note that, since there is nothing plugged into the mobo's AIO_PUMP header, the BIOS Setup screens cannot tell you a speed for anything on that header; that's why is shows "N/A".

If you do not download and use the recommended software utility that accompanies the AIO kit, you don't get the control system designed for that AIO kit, and you don't get device speeds where you might expect to see them.

larkial

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
"If you do not download and use the recommended software utility that accompanies the AIO kit, you don't get the control system designed for that AIO kit, and you don't get device speeds where you might expect to see them."

The thing is im getting insanely high temperature 70-80+ so for me to download it would over heat my cpu. Athough i was thinking about doing this other method instead

An alternative configuration is to plug in your pump solely to the AIO_PUMP (note that this header can be Q-Fan Controlled *BUT* the *Default Setting* is Full Speed/100%). Then connect the radiator fans of your AIO to the CPU_FAN (which is Q-Fan Controlled/PWM by default). This way, the pump always runs at 100%, while the rad fans would run depending on the CPU temps. The rest of the fans (case fans) can be plugged in at the most convenient CHA_FAN location in your Z270E.
would this fix the problem?

but the thing is the radiator has 2 fans and ive only got 1 cpu_fan.
Ive also got 2 stock case fans.
(I can hear the cooler running but its not cooling?) i think its the cooler anyway

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Thanks for the education! I know all this.

The point is you shouldn't need software to control pump speed, because pump speed is ultimately controlled by voltage regulation (like PWN) I didn't have Corair LINK installed (simply plugged pump cable into CPU_Fan header, and AIO fans to a standard header) but I could adjust pump speed directly off the motherboard BIOS. I can't with my NZXT AIO. NZXT force you to install CAM, when there is no practical need to have software control, as all software does is control voltage - WHICH THE MOTHERBOARD CAN ALREADY DO IN BIOS!!!!! Ultimately, I think i will go back to a corsair AIO, as i know i don't need software to control it. Software is just extra bloatware. NZXTs CAM software is also very laggy.

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Also, did the poster use the original preapplied thermal paste on the NZXT AIO? If they did, this patse is the worst. I was get sh*t temps, until i re-applied new paste. Idle temps dropped by 4c and load temps by 7c.

I think its an NZXT AIO feature not to show pump speed in BIOS correctly. My mother board has the following headers

CPU_FAN (Which the manual says can be used for AIO pumps)
CPU_Optional - next to the CPU_FAN header - obviously for the AIO fans
CPU_Pump - specifically for water pumps

Note that these are all high Amp headers than can easily handle pumps.
Plugging my NZXT AIO doesn't accurately show pump speed on any of these headers and a can't control speed directly in the BIOS.
My old Corsair AIO would allow me to control pump speed off the MB without software. I seriously thinking of ditching NZXT.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OP, the overheating you describe in not likely caused by mis-connecting, although possible. It certainly could happen if the pump unit fails, but you think that is not the problem. The thermal paste CAN be a problem in any of three ways:
(a) it may be a poor product, and a replacement with a better paste might help, as suggested above.
(b) application of the paste is important - you must do it as instructed. Too much is just as bad as too little. If the paste is pre-applied to the pump bottom face, usually it has a plastic film over it for protection, and that MUST be removed before installing.
(c) if the fastening of the pump unit over the CPU is not done right so the contact is firm and even, that also reduces heat removal. Check that it is on straight and not loose or wobbly.

Regarding your alternate configuration to run the pump at full speed and let the mobo do all the control by manipulating the radiator fan speeds, that really is almost exactly the same as what the Kraken X62 does. The instructions say to connect the THREE-pin fan cable from the pump to your CPU_FAN header. Any three-pin connection to a header that actually uses PWM Mode for control will leave the fan (or pump, in this case) running full speed all the time. Now, IF the header you use does automatic detection of the fan (or pump) type connected and changes itself to Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode), then it will be running the pump at lower speeds when temperatures are low. Or, if you manually SET that header to use DC Mode, the same can happen. But if the header is using PWM Mode (and the instructions do not tell you to set it this way, but maybe should), the pump will stay full speed. The radiator fans' speeds will be changed according to the internal CPU temperature, either by the mobo header if that's where you plug in those fans, or by the NZXT CAM software if you do it as instructed. The differences between these two options is in the fine details of "tuning" of the two different control software systems, but the results should be similar.

So, if you want to follow your plan and skip the CAM software, then proceed as you plan, and I'll suggest how to handle your concern. Connect the pump unit to the AIO PUMP header and ensure it is configured to run full speed all the time, no matter whether you have it set to DC Mode or PWM Mode. Use a SPLITTER to connect both radiator fans to the CPU_FAN header and ensure that header is set to use PWM Mode, because the fans supplied with the Kraken X62, their AER P140, are of the 4-pin design, and that it is set to use the Standard automatic temperature control strategy. You will need a 4-pin SPLITTER with 2 output arms, like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423161&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-161-_-Product

Note that this device has only two types of arms. One arm ending in a female connector plugs into the mobo CPU_FAN header. The other two each have male (with pins) connectors to plug you fans into. You may note that of these, one is missing its Pin #3, and that is correct. This fan's speed will never be "seen"; only the fan on the 4-pin output connector can have its speed reported to the mobo. You do NOT need a HUB, which is a different type of device. A Hub has a third type of arm - one that you must plug into a power output connector from the PSU. Although in this case, either a Splitter or a Hub can do the job, the Hub is more expensive and uses up a power connector.

Solution

larkial

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
I figured out my problem!! I took apart the whole cooler including the backplate, cleaned off the stock thermal paste and reapplied new paste. Then secured it all on as best as possible and that fixed it. The stock paste is absolutely terrible!!! Im now getting constant 34-36 degrees in bios

larkial

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
So i had no connection problems at all. But i also decided to change the connection from cpu_fan to pump( which allows the aio pump to show pump speed) but also makes the pump run at 100% all the time