Question Help and elder rebuild his desktop without research

creizlein

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
So, I hope not to get blamed by not using google to search for answers on this, most likely I'll find them, but hey, this is what forums are for right? :)

I bought a z690 Gigabyte mobo + 13th Intel I7 + 2x32 DDR4 + 2xM2 Drives - I also changed my PSU to a CORSAIR 750W Modular PSU
All this is placed on a newegg order and will arrive next week, but questions are:

Assuming I am not a gamer and wont want to overclock this machine at all, and keep using my old 1080 GPU

1. Looks like the CPU box no longer comes with Fan/Heatsink, its a K series, what the *** do I get that is normal non freaky colors and sizes?
  2. Do I need to purchase extra cables for the PSU that are better/easier to manage or the PSU comes with them are enough?
  3. Am I missing anything that exist nowadays that didn't exist 8 years ago when i last build my machine? Thermal Paste from Mars, Carbon Fiber Fans? +5hp Leds?
Please dont tellme i need to use a water cooler thingy, I strongly refuse to mix water on my machine and I understand this is mostly for gamers/overclocking, i just want a developer desktop.

Thanks guys !!! hope you haven't fall asleep with my post.

Last edited:
haha.. first day coming back after a few years of of no posts and here I am... Perfect post to kick off.

Since you do not game... it's kind of a wonder of why you bought all of this... But anyway, K chips stopped coming with a cooler around that 8 year mark of yours, so I guess your last system might have been the cut off.

1 You will need to buy a CPU coolder, pretty easy, follow the directions on newegg or other sites, for fitment of your CPU socket, that's about it. Now, depending on what you plan to use your system for, will determine the type of CPU cooler you need. Browsing the internet or light work.... you could literally get away with a 50$ air cooler. If you put stress on your CPU, then a Dark Rock, BeQuiet, Noctua type of air cooler would do much better (usually priced at around 80$+) These coolers do take up a lot of space, so you need to double check your PC case clearance. Oh, and don't worry about thermal paste, the coolers come with a "PEEL 'N' STICK" type of prepasted thing. Peel sticker, slap the thing down, done.

2 The cables with your PSU should be sufficient, unless you are planning to fancy that stuff up all the way and buy yourself some LED cables.

3 dunno... LEDs? Cool 4 pin fans? ASUS motherboard? lol

D

Deleted member 2783327

If your CPU is a K model it's over clockable. It also has an Intenal GPU. If you bought a KF it would have no iGPU, and maybe cost you $10-$20 less :)

CPUs don't come with freaky colors.

With Corsair I'd stay away from the V series. They are the lower end. Probably be OK if you got one of those and not overclocking it.

Do not change the PSU cables. Corsair come with enough cables and their PSUs can be fussy with the cables. You should only use the ones that come with the PSU.

AIO (water) coolers are quite safe, but I understand your hesitation.

A single fan 12cm air cooler will be fine for a system that is not overclocked. Probably something about the $40 range will be plenty.

I assume the M.2 drives are NVMe not SATA. The motherboard has a "faster" M.2 connector and a "slower" M.2 connector. The one that connects to the CPU will work faster. You didn't specify exactly which model Z690 you bought so read your manual - it might be the M2A socket that connects to the CPU.

I hear there are supply chain issues with getting Thermal paste from Mars. I Believe SpaceX are working on it :)

creizlein

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks @IceQueen0607 , Actually I realized I needed a CPU cooler AFTER purchased and posting this, I was confident it was in the box but looks like nope nope
Its incredible how big and expensive these have get, I'm shocked by their size, browsing around found the Noctua NH-U9S, which seems decent quality and not huge.

Thanks for confirming #2 and #3 as well

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, no, no and No. Bah. What a load.

It's an i7. In 13thGen, that's a i7-13700/K. That's a 230-250w class cpu, because Intel in their infinite wisdom has gone back to a 3-speed system. Idle/base/Turbo. PL1 is TDP, base speeds, but Tau is now infinite (again) so PL2 boosted speeds are infinite.

Your budget '120mm single fan' towers aren't going to get it, that cpu will eat them alive and any decent load will be looking at 100°C temps.
BeQuiet DarkRock Pro4 would be the Minimum size cooler to tame that beast of a cpu, which is equivalent to a 240mm AIO, which would be lite use, minor app, office type use. If you use anything more intensive, like cpu rendering, you'll be looking at a 360mm AIO or better.

M.2 is a format, a different kind of physical drive. But it's still Sata or NVMe, same as the standard plug in drives. The Generations are backwards compatible, so if you get a Gen4 it'll work just fine in a Gen3 dock, but a Gen3 will still be a Gen3 in a Gen4 dock. Whether you have 2 or 3 or 4 docks, whether they are Sata, sata/nvme, or nvme only and which generation will be listed in the description/specs.

Cables are cables, just use the ones included with the new psu. Don't try and mix them with other cables, the plug might fit but that doesn't mean the pins are the same layout.

Pc's haven't changed in the 8 years you've been gone. Kinda the same exact thing as your standard smart phone. Picture got better, they got faster, screen got larger, more ram, there's more apps, windows looks different, but overall it's the same motherboard, ram, cpu, cooler, drives, cases, fans etc that you dealt with before. Just some minor changes in the 'how' but not really in the 'what'.
Please dont tellme i need to use a water cooler thingy, I strongly refuse to mix water on my machine and I understand this is mostly for gamers/overclocking, i just want a developer desktop.
No, liquid cooling is not mostly for gamers/overclocking, liquid cooling is just a different form of cooling that happens to have larger capacity than is capable of from big air.

High usage render/encoding/compiling etc is going to drive up the heat output along with the power usage. Used for multiple hours at that level can get annoying, so the best way to lower fan noise is to over-cool the cpu, use the highest possible capacity cooling, such as full custom loop, to allow fans to spin slower and ultimately quieter. With big air like a Noctua NH-D15 being equitable in ability to a decent 240mm AIO, a 280mm or 360mm means slower fans.

Typically you'll want 1.5x to 2x cooling capacity compared to wattage.

Last edited:

creizlein

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Thank you for that explanation @Karadjgne - certainly things havent change much, but CPU thermals had do, back on my days the cpu came with a fansink and thats it! hehe
I do use from time to time rendering, a lots of VMs, some large compiling and whatnot, but I get your point, I will see if I get to spend more streight forward on a larger Noctua or start with this basic one and monitor temps and see how it behaves. Im worried about space tho and having to change the case just for this, hopefully not... I have a decent mid tower alum case that i
still would like to keep.

Worst case scenario what I get from this is that I will need a water cooling solution just for the CPU, lets hope that when I need that there are some solid compact solutions not pledged with RGB and leds everywhere :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The i5-13600k hits almost 200w. And all this is non-overclocked, strictly off the shelf bone stock.

The i9-13900k can hit over 300w.

When it comes to aircoolers there's 1 limiting factor that overrides any other, height from the motherboard. Without that clearance, you aren't getting the side panel back on. So your cooler selection will be determined by exactly how much clearance you have.

This is what makes AIO's so attractive at times, most cases have room for a 240mm radiator, either in front or in top, and a 240 has the same capacity as the biggest air cooling. Which quite often does not fit in their case.

A regular mid tower has @ 40Litres of internal airspace. My mITX case has less than 12Litres. And yet I have 2x 240mm radiators in it. @ 500-550w of cooling capacity, which runs Silent except during periods of heavy gaming, then it's no more audible than the ceiling fan.

Without those radiators, if I had to rely on aircooling, I'd be looking at a 130w Noctua NH-L9A or it's equivalents, which drastically changes everything since my loop also incorporates the gpu, which then would be air cooled too and would barely have air.

So, often times it's a matter of what's going to work out best, not just for you, but for the pc in general as to which way works better and just what needs doing to accomplish that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, just got back from the dentist and really had a hard time swallowing some of the above statements, like a $40 budget cooler or a single 120mm tower, ever being 'good enough' for that monster cpu.

And 'faster/slower'? M.2 ports? That's not right either. M.2 is just a physical connection type, not a speed rating. That's all going to depend on the drive used. A Gen3 drive in either port will be just as fast as the other. You'd need to use a Gen4 drive in the Gen4 capable port to see any speed increases, and thats only theoretical, (@ 16GT/s vs 8GT/s), as any files will still be reliant on ram timings and cpu demands as far as throughput goes.

Basically it doesn't matter if your car does 100mph or 200mph if the speed limit is 50mph.

creizlein

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Chill out Karadjgne, some of us arent that wise , not sure where all the buzz about M2 or drivers/ports come from, I didnt ask anything about that.
I got your point of a cheap cooler, actually I didn't went cheap, i choose a noctua, but just not a big monster like you mentioned, if i find thats not enough then I will upgrade.

The good part of having a 200mph car is that not all roads/tracks have 50mph limit, I dont think thats a good analogy given the fact the speed limit is a law, maybe you meant having a 200mph car with a 100mph tyres.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Chill out Karadjgne, some of us arent that wise , not sure where all the buzz about M2 or drivers/ports come from, I didnt ask anything about that.
I got your point of a cheap cooler, actually I didn't went cheap, i choose a noctua, but just not a big monster like you mentioned, if i find thats not enough then I will upgrade.

The good part of having a 200mph car is that not all roads/tracks have 50mph limit, I dont think thats a good analogy given the fact the speed limit is a law, maybe you meant having a 200mph car with a 100mph tyres.
No real reason to chill you got some good and some bad feedback.
That cooler has 0 chance to cool a 13700K might as well send it back before you open it.

If your not going with water, or big air forget about the 13XXX series processors. Buy you a nice AMD 5600x to use that cooler.

creizlein

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Certainty I agree. I good super good feedback and opinions. I didn't know it was such adventure to cool these downs.

I will explore my case clearance before getting a bigger fan tower. At least in pictures they look huge. But at the end if I cannot get a nice fit then I will need to explore the aio ones no doubt.