Help appreciated for gaming PC

ScrapYard531

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have decided to build a decent gaming PC which should last me a few years, and through research have decided on the following components.

As mentioned above, I'm mainly going to be using this for playing games such as LoL, Dota 2, BF4 and Ghosts etc. I would be very grateful if you guys could give me any feedback on the build, such as money saving alternatives and any compatibility problems which pcpartpicker may have missed. Many thanks.

oXmUXu5.png

I would drop the CPU cooler, get a non-k i5 and an h86 motherboard. use the saved money to get a better GPU. This will result in better FPS in games. All you sacrifice is CPU overclocking which you don't need and won't even do anything for gaming performance. It is more for a hobby than for performance boost on new CPUs.

Oleonius

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Great build an good choice of components.

Personnally, I would keep the K-version CPU and the Z87 board as well as the CPU cooler. First, you never know in the future if you will need to overclock and it can be a good way of having a more powerful CPU instead of buying a new one. Second, this CPU cooler is great for the price. It cools better than the stock Intel cooler and is more quiet.

To save some money, I suggest you get rid of the Noctua thermal paste because the one that comes with the Hyper 212 EVO will do just fine. With that 12$, I suggest you pick the MSI Z87-G45 motherboard. It haves more features and works well with MSI GPUs.

For the same price, I would also recommend you go check for a better case such as the Corsair Carbide 400R or the Fractal Design Define R4.

If you have questions, feel free to ask them. Have fun building !

There is ZERO correlation between an MSI board and an MSI GPU. That is 100% false that they work better together than any other combination.

I personally would stick with ASRock for the motherboard or even better go ASUS. MSI has had some quality control issues in the past. I have had good luck with them but many people have issues. ASUS or Gigabyte seem to be where the quality is now a days.

Oleonius

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011

You are wrong:

"MSI VGA Boost

MSI VGA Boost is one of MSI's exclusive ways to help gamers to fully engage in their virtual world. VGA Boost increases the power limitations for MSI Gaming graphics cards when inserted in an MSI Gaming motherboard. It simply upgrades your Power Tuning and current limits allowing your graphics to boost to higher clock speeds when your Gaming graphics get more intense and sustain maximum performance for a longer time.

This is all supported by the power design for the PCI Express slots and the build quality of MSI Graphics cards. Now, matching MSI Gaming hardware not only gives your game PC some fiery red dragon looks, your PC Gaming experience will benefit from a safe and powerful boost in graphics."

I'm sorry to inform you of this, but that is a marketing scam. it has been shown to do nothing at all. GPUs already cannot penetrate a PCI 3.0 lane at all so adding bandwidth does nothing.

Secondly, all it does is add a VERY mild overclock to your card which can easily be achieved in a program like MSI afterburner or AMD overdrive or EVGA precision. This overclock is so mild that in most benchmarks it added 0-2% performance boost. A simply user set-up overclock with NO voltage tuning can add as much as 10%.

I'm sorry, it is all marketing.