Help! Blank screen when booting Windows 8.1!

miano

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
This weekend I have completed my first build. After putting everything together, and installing the OS, I began to install drivers. The last driver I had installed was the driver for the NVidia Geforce GTX 970 4gb MSI GPU. The installation was long, but I completed it. After a while, I rebooted. The Windows logo loads, but then it stays at a blank screen. I have a cursor. The blank screen stays for about 10-25 minutes, then boots normally. Help!

What I have tried -

- Reinstalling OS
- Uninstalling driver, and then reinstalling
- Disabling autoinstall of drivers and reinstalling
- Installing from Nvidia website, instead of MSI

Another note, when I uninstall the GPU driver, and reboot without it, the computer boots normally, with no issue.

I know my drivers are up-to-date, I checked with the software. Everything works well without it. Here is my part of my build if it matters.

- Motherboard: MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming
- Video card: MSI GTX 970 4gb
- CPU: Intel i5 4690-K

I'll provide anymore information, if needed.

miano

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Just another note of information:
- The blank screen is the default windows color (the color I chose when I first installed Windows).
- Also, the screen stays for quite a long time, sometimes much more than an hour.
- Device Management recognizes the GPU.
- I do not have another PC I can test it on.
- The blank screen goes away once the monitor no longer has an input signal (gives the message "No input signal from DVI")
- I have not tried to change PCIe ports, would this change anything?

miano

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

I use a Corsair CX 600W Semi Modular ATX PCU. My motherboard and GPU are both MSI. Motherboard is MSI Z97 GD65, and GPU is Nvidia GTX 970. CPU is Intel, 4690-k. My RAM is G.Skill Sniper

I don't know how to check voltage readings on a PSU :(

miano

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Could it be something to do with how I've connected my monitor to my video card? I have both a DVI cable and an HDMI cable connecting the two. Did I do something wrong?

miano

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

I'm sorry for not clarifying, the PC is operating. I am using Windows 8.1 Pro x64. I can use the PC, and I can see the desktop. The only problem is that booting takes about an hour with the Nvidia drivers installed, and takes 3 seconds without.