[SOLVED] Help! bricked gtx 970?

Oct 2, 2019
A few years ago, my pc crashed and my gpu has been bricked ever since. I have 2 970s so it's been sitting on my shelf for years and I've been using my other 970. I've tried many things to fix it like using a different pcie port and cables, removed drivers and reinstalled, flashed gpu bios with my other working 970s bios and tried flashing with the most up to date bios online. and also flashed the mobo with the most recent version. The gpu in device manager comes up with "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)." In the events tab is comes up with "Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13C2&SUBSYS_85081043&REV_A1\4&33e4407a&0&0058 requires further installation." (See imgur link). Interestingly enough, my other working 970 also comes up with "Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13C2&SUBSYS_85081043&REV_A1\4&2534e90f&0&0010 requires further installation." in the events tab. so I don't know whats up with that. When I looked at both gpus in GPU-Z there are a few inconsistencies. (noted in red, see imgur link). When the pc is turned on, the gpu doesnt output and the fan spins at max speed or sometimes not at all. (see video). Any help on fixing this gpu would be appreciated.

pc specs
gtx 970 asus strix 4gb
8gb ddr3 1333mhz ram
fx-8350 4ghz
gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev. 4

View: https://imgur.com/a/VYu5wbv

View: https://imgur.com/a/RAcGBYR

Last edited:
Solution
Ok so the one marked running at pcie x16 is in a 16x slot running at 2.0. The other one is in a pcie 16x x4 slot.
So one should be in Pcie x16 -1 and the second card should be in pciex16-2. Basically top slot, and third pcie slot. And in bios did you check under something like on board devices/pcie to make sure those slots were enabled? Have you tried the "bricked" card in the first slot?
Ok so the one marked running at pcie x16 is in a 16x slot running at 2.0. The other one is in a pcie 16x x4 slot.
So one should be in Pcie x16 -1 and the second card should be in pciex16-2. Basically top slot, and third pcie slot. And in bios did you check under something like on board devices/pcie to make sure those slots were enabled? Have you tried the "bricked" card in the first slot?

Solution